Air horns

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Ebay and Youtube Grover Stuttertone.That is the one you want.It WILL get them to freaking move!

gatorman21218

Reaction score
A York makes great air. I run the clutch with a standard garage type aircompressor switch. It starts building air at 75 psi and stopps at 120 psi. Gotta a 4 gallon tank under the bed on the frame rail. At 120 psi, the air horns let the idiot in front of you know to stop screwing around.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Heath

Heath I think thats what I want. My Factory A/C is broke and Ive been told by the PO that the compressor is shot. While I like a/c as much as the next guy I also want onboard air so I think I am going to get a York/similar unit. Is there any place I can buy them new? I dont know where I could find one junked, and in my opinion its just as much trouble finding/pulling/guessing if it works as buying new. And if its true if you made your own mounting bracket, i would love a sketch or something!

For now guys lets focus on the air supply. I know a York is gonna burn me but I also dont want a "cheap" 12v unit to crap out on me or only be able to give me a 2 second burst every 10 minutes.

What about those gasoline powered contractor type compressors? Could I rig one of those up to run off of the v-belt.

I think having on board air would be great! No need to let my craftsman run for 10 mins to build up air, just fire up the truck and plug in my framing nail gun:shoot:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
HAHA Russ I'll draw the line at the christmas lights on the ladder rack.

Attachments

• big green2.jpg
    big green2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 13

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything that could be described as a siren (or emergency equipment) can get you in trouble....and ANY horn used out of context can as well. Most states (and I have read a lot of them) define the context as something to the effect of "to warn another motorist of an impending danger or accident". Making the ******* in the honda $hit his pants cuz he cut you off while coming to a light (as in you legitimately thought there was a good chance you were gonna hit him) is cool....following a few blocks attempting to blow his bumpers off not so much.

Heath, I as well would love to have a diagram of the bracket...looks like you also were able to keep your ac.

And as an FYI I am a big fan of big horns....years ago it saved me from an "at fault" rear ending....the horns got the attention of everyone around as I plowed a guy who cut me off when I was running a bobtail grossing 42k lb.....ended up with 6 witnesses saying I was not following too close, and that the way the guy pulled in there was no way I was stopping.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....and ANY horn used out of context can as well. Most states (and I have read a lot of them) define the context as something to the effect of "to warn another motorist of an impending danger or accident". Making the ******* in the honda $hit his pants cuz he cut you off while coming to a light (as in you legitimately thought there was a good chance you were gonna hit him) is cool....following a few blocks attempting to blow his bumpers off not so much.
Joking aside, FWIW, I agree completely with you. I NEVER use my horn except in an emergency situation as you described (because, as you said, that's the law on it). But, when that emergency situation comes up, I want to be plainly audible...and the horns that are on my truck now can barely be heard over the engine at idle :shocked:

And, for that matter, IIRC "true" train horns are illegal under any circumstances (which is why you see smaller-scale horns meant for trucks available), and so is the boat horn I want. So, I need to find something that's similar but at a lower decibel level, so I can legally use it in an on-road vehicle (and have enough air to supply it without filling my bed with air tanks)...and I'll probably keep an electric horn as well, so I can be a bit quieter if needed...

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually I have been very surprised that most placed dont actually put a limit on how loud a horn can be....some municiplaities have noise ordinances (disturbing the peace), however when it falls under the catagory of "saftey equipment" the rules are pretty open.
In general I usually run a switch for both an electric and an air....the electric is the frendly "hey dont forget about me" horn...the air's are the "act now or call for an ambulance and tow truck"....for those of us with many many miles under our belt we can generally see the accident coming quite a while before it happens.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
damn goofy....gotta get me one of those....freaking cool

I know this is gonna sounds redneck.....but ain't that wild! I got a set of dixie horns in the KW ready to be bolted on....and the new back up alarm showed up at the boss' place today (move, truck backing up, move, truck backing up)

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Joking aside, FWIW, I agree completely with you. I NEVER use my horn except in an emergency situation as you described (because, as you said, that's the law on it). But, when that emergency situation comes up, I want to be plainly audible...and the horns that are on my truck now can barely be heard over the engine at idle :shocked:

And, for that matter, IIRC "true" train horns are illegal under any circumstances (which is why you see smaller-scale horns meant for trucks available), and so is the boat horn I want. So, I need to find something that's similar but at a lower decibel level, so I can legally use it in an on-road vehicle (and have enough air to supply it without filling my bed with air tanks)...and I'll probably keep an electric horn as well, so I can be a bit quieter if needed...

X3 I dont want to be that guy who goes around at tail gates and blows the horn everytime they score a touchdown. All I want is a good sounding truck horn that will let a "four wheeler" know that I weigh twice as much as he does and hes lucky I stopped in time not to scratch the paint off of his plastic bumper