Air intrusion | Replace the olives or replace steel lines

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to replace both SU and see if that solves my problem.
Let us know how that goes. I plan to replace mine one of these days so I'd appreciate knowing any details.
Are you planning to pull the bed off or try to avoid that?

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess they've come down some in price lately.

I see yours is an 86 though so I have no clue if it's different.....

Says it only fits 87 on but looks identical

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These valves are all made in China. Sold from $70 to $500,
depending on how deep they want to get into your wallet.

Here is an E-Bay search it did. The one`s with the yellow/orange caps are for our Diesels.
They fit 83 - 2015 diesels...do a search.

The black ones are Standard brand or pollack. with those you need to swap the electric plug, and the fuel connections are not quick connects.
You need to cut off the ends and splice in rubber hose etc...

Last year these were running $40 - $50 range.

Ford Dealers were selling them for around $400.
Not really all that much to them.

If you need a new electric connector, this is a great price, saw one seller selling his for $70.

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how that goes. I plan to replace mine one of these days so I'd appreciate knowing any details.

I removed my bed when replacing the Fuel Senders on both tanks.
But I was also doing the 38 gallon up grade to the rear tank.

I had had that bed off 3 times in the past 3 or so years.
Just use a Cherry picker and come in from the rear.
Will need to remove the Tail Gate, no big deal.
I bought one of those Chicom "H" Frame bed lifters that connect under the bed rails.
Just be sure to make adjustments to have the bed balanced, after everything is disconnected, drive out from under the bed.

With the bed off, and replacing the senders, you can be sure it is clean around the sender before lifting it out.
You don`t want rust, dirt and other crap falling inside the tank.
I guess you could use an air hose under the bed to blow stuff out. Be sure to have safety glasses on.

Goat

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People lift the bed all the time, and claim it's easier. But getting those bed bolts loose on a northern truck can be a can of worms.

John_piv

Reaction score
I've honestly never pulled the bed off any truck I've had to do any kind of work. It doesn't seem difficult, it's more finding where to keep it. I think I'm going to attempt to drop the tanks. With the tanks being ~half full and the truck being lifted, it may just be easier to pull the bed.

I'll be sure to keep y'all in the loop

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dropped my tanks. It seems like, unless you are restoraring, you are creating a new project if you pull the bed.

John_piv

Reaction score
DONE A LITTLE MORE DISCOVERING | I was looking around the truck for some completely unrelated work when I noticed the water separator/fuel filter on the firewall. I'd never even noticed it, and it look like the original so I decided to do a little digging on it to replace it. Surprisingly, it turns out this is a common area for air leaks.

I started the truck and listened in that area, and heard a small sucking noise. I threw a random fuel filter I had in the line just to bypass the filter and that cut the bubbles in the return line down substantially! There are still bubbles coming from the tank, but they seemed to have dropped down to a level where the truck is drivable.

I done want to run around without a water separator, especially when running WMO. What are some good replacements for one of those filters? Thanks!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, Ford got rid of that water separator and did not use them on the newer trucks. My 89 never came with it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can buy aftermarket water separator filters and the heads that they mount to. Franklin2's right. Ford stopped using them after 1987 so there probably isn't any direct replacements available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller

Staff online