Actually retrieving WMO

PossumTruck

Reaction score
So I understand the concept of asking folks and getting the ok to take raw WMO from a shop. A question I have, as a know-nothing, is: how to you get the oil out of the shop? Do you bring/rig a pump to your own container? Leave a barrel/take a barrel? If you have to take a container/barrel full of oil, that's heavy - how does that work? This sounds stupid, I know.

I bought my ford IDI, in part, for the purpose of hedging against this kind of crazy price situation. I can read all day about centrifuges and filters, calling around to get permission to take oil, etc; I've never heard about the actual experience of actually getting the oil from a source.

Any anecdotes would be helpful. Thanks!

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be upgrading to a fillrite transfer pump or hand crank pump. Currently the shop had a pump for people to come and fill up whatever tank they had. Getting my own so I can go to more shops. One option is to get an in bed auxiliary tank and don't plumb it into your fuel lines. Just have it as a fill container.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Cactus Bob

Reaction score
I collect WVO. but some things are the same. today in order to get something you have to give something(MONEY) there is no more free stuff. i collect my oil in the containers it comes in. the vegetable oil comes in 5 gallon plastic boxes. i work with a restaurant where the cook bottles up the best oil he has (no water or food waste) back into these containers.......for this i give him one Dollar per gallon cash.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I now keep mine in a 55 drum and the dude who picks it up from me pumps out all but the bottom 10 inches or so. He uses a cheap electric pump and he transports it in a bunch 5 gallon buckets since he likes to do a bunch of filtering it and he's older and doesn't want to lift. He uses it for an ancient diesel Mercedes. I give it to him for free since I have to pay for it to be hauled away and I no longer have a wmo shop heater.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be upgrading to a fillrite transfer pump or hand crank pump. Currently the shop had a pump for people to come and fill up whatever tank they had. Getting my own so I can go to more shops. One option is to get an in bed auxiliary tank and don't plumb it into your fuel lines. Just have it as a fill container.

Never-Have-I-Ether
So I called Fill Rite today, the hand crank pump works in both directions, so you can siphon the fuel out of the barrel into the your container, then reverse the crank and it'll pump out of your mobile container into another barrel you have. So that's a good cheap option around $300 for the pump and hose with a meter. I like manual pumps for the reliability.

You can also get one of their electric mobile 12v transfer pumps around $300. Pretty good deal and you won't have to manually crank the pump. Reverse the wires and it'll siphon.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Blackfuel Blender

Reaction score
Careful using the 12 volt fuel transfer pumps. They don't like the viscosity. My sources are 300 gallons a whack and they have forklifts so its a switchout. A hand pump will work on smaller volumes if you have the time and wind. Another good option but a little pricey up front is a Redline oil transfer pump. 120 volt motor running an actual engine oil pump. Rig up something like that with an air compressor type motor and a hydraulic pump for cheap. Some of the suppliers if big enough, might require you signing an affidavit or receival form that you collected it for proper disposal. Then again, one supplier of mine had been pouring theirs (10 G a drain) out in their turn rows.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheap 12v transfer pumps don't last long with thicker liquids. I have been running wvo for almost 15 years now and have settled on a chevy 350 oil pump attached to an old washing machine motor. It has held up for 1000's of gallons. I do have to plug in at the restaurant, but since I own the containers at the two restaurants I source from I simply put them where I could plug in easily.

Fattima

Reaction score
I use a hand rotary pump similar to above, I mainly collect WVO and it deal with this thick oil well. My experience with the cheap 12V pumps is not so good, fail fairly quickly on thick oil.

drewr13NJ

Reaction score
I have a Fill-Rite hand crank pump just like what Never-Have-I-Ether is looking at, and so far it has worked OK. I did have a problem once when I think the gasoline separated from my oil, and it was cold out. It seemed really hard to crank and it started to leak out of the seals (ie where crank handle went into the pump). I emptied the 15 gal barrel with it like that and changed the hydraulic filter. It seemed to pump better and honestly, I don't know if the filter was plugged or the oil was too thick. I am planning on buying an electric pump to pump it and filter it with some whole house filters. Something to keep in mind if you are worried about collecting: That Fill-Rite barrel pump pretty much needs to be screwed into a barrel or fuel tank bung. Some containers many not have that bung available. Also, I dislike the mess it makes when moving from barrel to barrel because the oil drips off the pickup tube. Also, I can't suck it out since I have a filter on mine. I am also upgrading the nozzle to a regular fuel dispenser nozzle because I have had oil dump out all over my driveway and my feet, even though I thought I drained it all out. The nozzle should have minimal spillage. Hopefully my experience and thoughts help you find a suitable pump!

Attachments

• Barrel_1.jpg
    Barrel_1.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 8

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most shops have compressed air and I use a double diaphragm pump I scored off Craigslist moons ago. They are able to pass some particles and pump thick stuff. Colder months it freezes up but I just poor hot water on it if I am outside. But it never get tired. I carry both style of air connectors. I put some mesh over the pick up tube so it keeps the big stuff out. Amazon or ebay have them for cheap now. If you do suck something up that jams up one of the check balls they are easy to disassemble and clean out. If the shop doesn't have air then I bring my gas compressor. Also put a ball valve on the airline and have two airlines. This is so you can control the speed of the pump and cut the air when it is time to switch containers. This setup allows you to stand next to the container while filling and watch it. They do gravity syphon if you filling a small container lower then your source.

For transporting. Barrels are the best for being inconspicuous. I used to swap out barrels and role them up on ramps into a trailer or pickup. But that is heavy. They are relatively easy to handle full after some practice. Also easy to pump into and suck out of. I like totes now but still use barrels. If they have a forklift then its easy to load with the forks. Or swap totes out. I like to pump cause then its already presettled if you don't suck off the bottom.

Others have said this before. Some rules to think of as part of the "oil club" :rotflmao
-no spills. Be clean, if you show up like a hobo and leave a mess it leaves a bad impression on all of us.
-no spills
-never walk away while you are pumping. if something is going bad you are there to catch it before it gets really bad. That being said have a fast enough pump so that your not temped to walk away. If you have to walk away always shut things down so they can't go bad.
-Have stuff to clean up a mess. Spill kit
-be respectful and professional. They are giving you oil for free a lot of the time. Most of the time they are more then happy to work with you and really accommodating.
-bring thank you treats; donuts/pizza/tacos. Not going to break the bank sense you are saving money using their oil. I would show up around lunch time at one friend's shop and hang out when I would bring food.

Hopefully this is helpful and welcome, cheers

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done it many times no matter what I always try to bring a container I try to bring a pump and I always try to figure out a way to make it as quick and easy as possible so you're not getting in the way of their workers. If you can do it in such a way to make their job easier that helps too. Don't forget to clean up after yourself

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a 2" gas powered trash pump that'll suck a 55 gallon drum of oil in 60-90 seconds. On my last pickup, I had a hose burst and you can imagine how much oil sprayed around the shop that I was picking up from (looked like the second coming of the Exxon Valdez).

The owner wasn't happy at all but was ecstatic when he came back 2 hours later and I had the shop looking cleaner than it was before the oil spilled. He thanked me and just last week called me to let me know that he has another 150 gallons ready for pickup. He has a shop with deep bays so now I'm transitioning into using my pump with a 75 ft hose so that I can leave the pump on the truck and suck the oil from wherever it may be in the shop. No more messes!

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most shops have compressed air and I use a double diaphragm pump I scored off Craigslist moons ago. They are able to pass some particles and pump thick stuff. Colder months it freezes up but I just poor hot water on it if I am outside. But it never get tired. I carry both style of air connectors. I put some mesh over the pick up tube so it keeps the big stuff out. Amazon or ebay have them for cheap now. If you do suck something up that jams up one of the check balls they are easy to disassemble and clean out. If the shop doesn't have air then I bring my gas compressor. Also put a ball valve on the airline and have two airlines. This is so you can control the speed of the pump and cut the air when it is time to switch containers. This setup allows you to stand next to the container while filling and watch it. They do gravity syphon if you filling a small container lower then your source.

For transporting. Barrels are the best for being inconspicuous. I used to swap out barrels and role them up on ramps into a trailer or pickup. But that is heavy. They are relatively easy to handle full after some practice. Also easy to pump into and suck out of. I like totes now but still use barrels. If they have a forklift then its easy to load with the forks. Or swap totes out. I like to pump cause then its already presettled if you don't suck off the bottom.

Others have said this before. Some rules to think of as part of the "oil club" :rotflmao
-no spills. Be clean, if you show up like a hobo and leave a mess it leaves a bad impression on all of us.
-no spills
-never walk away while you are pumping. if something is going bad you are there to catch it before it gets really bad. That being said have a fast enough pump so that your not temped to walk away. If you have to walk away always shut things down so they can't go bad.
-Have stuff to clean up a mess. Spill kit
-be respectful and professional. They are giving you oil for free a lot of the time. Most of the time they are more then happy to work with you and really accommodating.
-bring thank you treats; donuts/pizza/tacos. Not going to break the bank sense you are saving money using their oil. I would show up around lunch time at one friend's shop and hang out when I would bring food.

Hopefully this is helpful and welcome, cheers
How fast does that double diaphragm pump move oil?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86