Actually retrieving WMO

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Large torque converters are usually the choice for fuges since they are already balanced and generally the right shape. There are a bunch of people that are making diy fuges now. Brake drums would be balanced and heavier. It would be easy to close up. Interesting idea. How were you going to orient it? I was going to build a second fuge and my buddy was going to cut it on his lathe and then re-weld it for me. A torque converter rebuild shop quoted me $200 (i think that is what they said) to cut gut and reweld.
yeah, I have been seeing that float around in some other online groups. I don't have any torque converters but I do have extra axles and brake drums lying around. they are also rated to spin at 3750 RPM no problem. I thought about cutting an axle housing off so I could use the wheel bearing. I would then cut anther bearing to fit in the cut off axle tube side near where the center section used to be. then I could cut down an axle, have the brake drum on one side and pulley mounted on the other end of the axle. I could then feed the pulley with the motor and play with the ratios for speed changes.

But I figure just cutting the axle to fit directly on the motor would be easier. I would have the motor at the bottom facing upward. The cut off axle would mount to the motor and the brake drum would bolt to that with the inside facing upward. I just need to add a seal and a housing around it.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think are the dimensions for my fuge bowl.

You must be registered for see images attach

Neat idea! Sounds like it will work great. Keep us posted! With a big drum you could have a bunch of oil capacity.

subway

Reaction score
Awesome thanks, so my 3/4 half ton 10.25 axles and drums can fit the bill. I was thinking about it. I could even use the surface where the axle seal rides again for protecting the motor.

Wulf202

Reaction score
I find the risk of pumping on site not worth it. A utility trailer with a HF crane truck crane, an atv winch, and a barrel lifting yolk works.

Make sure you can trade totes with the same trailer if that's offered. Some trailers don't play well with forklifts.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score

a guy on a faceb00k waste oil group posted this. Pretty cheap way to go.

Wvo designs also makes this

They even have link for drawings of the bowl and stuff for dimensions in a download link for a zip and pdf's.

Last edited:

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing, I am running a pressure fuge from PA Biodiesel but want to go to a single pass set up like you have. Can you give me some general idea of how large the rotor is in diameter and height? I am thinking about using a modified drum brake on a cut off axle shaft to make the rotor. I can machine out the center of the axle on my lathe to fit on a electric motor. I figure this should not be very ******* my lathe.
Just curious why you're moving away from the PA Biodiesel fuge? I have the 208 GPH vers and it's been pretty consistent at cleaning my oil.

subway

Reaction score
Just curious why you're moving away from the PA Biodiesel fuge? I have the 208 GPH vers and it's been pretty consistent at cleaning my oil.
I don't think that I am getting the oil clean enough running multiple passes on the biodiesel fuge. With my set up it is sitting on top of a 55 gal barrel and I have the pump circulating oil through for hours but don't think all the oil is running through it multiple times like needed. That, and from what I have seen from people who have upgraded, is that they found a larger single pass fuge pulled more out.

I also just like building things lol

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**I also just like building things lol**
Hahaha....we're birds of a feather on that one.

While you're in the process of building the new one, maybe adjusting your pickup will help? Mine sits on top of a 300 gallon tote and the inlet pulls from 2-3" off the bottom and then deposits right back on top. I go at least 100 passes and once I'm 2-3 days into cleaning (40 passes or so), I can let it run for 16 hours straight and barely get any sludge on the rotor.

Where's your pickup and how many passes are you running?

subway

Reaction score
Hahaha....we're birds of a feather on that one.

While you're in the process of building the new one, maybe adjusting your pickup will help? Mine sits on top of a 300 gallon tote and the inlet pulls from 2-3" off the bottom and then deposits right back on top. I go at least 100 passes and once I'm 2-3 days into cleaning (40 passes or so), I can let it run for 16 hours straight and barely get any sludge on the rotor.

Where's your pickup and how many passes are you running?
I can't remember how many passes I was doing. I think I was letting the fuge run with 40 gal or so for 6-8 hrs. That is the other side of the issue, a single pass with an inline heater seems much more efficient. It as not a huge problem but running the PA fuge is not quite at all.

My pickup is the bulkhead fitting right in the bottom of the drum so I am about 2-3 inches off the bottom.

I have not run my setup in years but with the spike in prices and my son who wants his license giving puppy dog eyes to his truck and crying thinking about feeding the old diesel I would like to break it back out.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember how many passes I was doing. I think I was letting the fuge run with 40 gal or so for 6-8 hrs. That is the other side of the issue, a single pass with an inline heater seems much more efficient. It as not a huge problem but running the PA fuge is not quite at all.

My pickup is the bulkhead fitting right in the bottom of the drum so I am about 2-3 inches off the bottom.

I have not run my setup in years but with the spike in prices and my son who wants his license giving puppy dog eyes to his truck and crying thinking about feeding the old diesel I would like to break it back out.
I obsessively clean mine and figure at 100 passes which is about 68 hours running a 400w motor, I'm using about 27kw of power. I'm curious how the single passes work and if they get as clean as mine than you're right, that's a heckuva lot more efficient!

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have started running my single pass as a continuous. For me it has been working great. Getting more out then in thought it would. Some oil also holds a lot of stuff so even running it constantly for days, but it does settle out. I have even thought of doing several single pass fuge in series to see how much the first one pulls out. For now I have it set up with several totes for different stages of processing. Dirty in, first pass & continuous pass, final pass, then pumped into cleaned storage totes. This allows me to see what the fuge gets out first pass, then as continuous, and finally to the final pass tote. If the final pass gets more out then I think it should then I can keep running it.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about this for a pump. Shallow well jet pump.

Not made for oil but the design is cool. It uses some water to pull up more water with a jet. Probably replace the seal pretty easily and should last a good while especially if there isn't much pressure behind it. Maybe modify to be gas powered. Looking around the used market and they can be had for cheap.

subway

Reaction score
What about this for a pump. Shallow well jet pump.

Not made for oil but the design is cool. It uses some water to pull up more water with a jet. Probably replace the seal pretty easily and should last a good while especially if there isn't much pressure behind it. Maybe modify to be gas powered. Looking around the used market and they can be had for cheap.

I like the thought, it might be worth checking out

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Harbor Freight model that I picked up a number of years ago and still starts on the first or second pull. I mated up some gator quick couplings so I can swap between hoses and it's been a reliable setup.
What hoses and fittings are you using?