WMO and diesel mix in 6.0 PSD

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a bit of used oil so i decided to put in my tank, about a gallon of oil to 28 gallons of diesel, been doing this since the fall, havent noticed any changes to my truck. so far ive done it with 5w30 and 10w30 but one it warms up i have lots of 15w40 to burn. last time i put in oil i premixed it in an oil jug before pouring it in, half diesel and half oil, seemed to mix well. i dont pre filter the oil before pouring it in, vehicles have oil filters, truck has 2 fuel filters...... therefore it is filter before the injectors........

i havent seen anyone talk about wmo diesel mix in 6.0s before, seen some info with 7.3s and 12 valves.

in sure there is some purists out there that have smoke coming out their ears right now lol

PossumTruck

Reaction score
Every once in awhile, this will not hurt you other than clogging your fuel filters faster. Running many gallons through this way would likely be very expensive for you. Suggest finding a way to get it down to at least one micron. I dont think I would run any WMO in a truck newer than a 7.3psd, at least not without a centrifuge.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filter very well is the consensus from what I have read due to the tight tolerances of the common rail motors. Second would be the cost to repair the IP and injectors if there was a problem from the fuel.

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are more people trying it and build info and data. So hopefully they will be posting more about it

Mike Mck

Reaction score
I have been trying to get input from 6.0 owners who have or are running WMO with no success. I have access to a supply of WMO and would like to run a centrifuge system. I'm not much of a risk taker so was hoping to find someone who took the risk with the 6.0. Any out there?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
What i learned trying diesel/wmo blend with my 7.3psd, is that the fuel bowl got polluted with carbon; plugging up the passages, check ball, etc. Fuel heater was destroyed (not sure if from wmo or already dead).

If I were doing it again, I'd want the electric pump to polish the tank fuel continuously, and a regulated return setup to limit what kind of junk can settle in the heads (dunno what the 6.0L has, stock).

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i learned trying diesel/wmo blend with my 7.3psd, is that the fuel bowl got polluted with carbon; plugging up the passages, check ball, etc. Fuel heater was destroyed (not sure if from wmo or already dead).

If I were doing it again, I'd want the electric pump to polish the tank fuel continuously, and a regulated return setup to limit what kind of junk can settle in the heads (dunno what the 6.0L has, stock).
Really seems like more effort than it's worth. And I'd guess 50/50 as a maximum summer mix?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Really seems like more effort than it's worth. And I'd guess 50/50 as a maximum summer mix?
Seems too rich a blend for my comfort. Heui systems are fussy and expensive compared to mechanical ones. I would want a recirculating fuel loop on a PSD regardless... 95-97 is deadheaded, stock, and is a well-documented upgrade. Don't know what a 6.0L does.

Blend % would depend on the oil I was getting too. Actual wmo has a lot more particulate than say barely-used hydraulic oil.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@miles1400 can you find a 12v or old Ford with a 6.9/7.2idi/7.3ps around you to use that oil in and cut your wmo teeth on?
Or an Isuzu pup or ford ranger with a Perkins or Mazda b2000 with a Perkins or a whole bunch of other mechanically injected diesels that will be a LOT more kind on the pocket book if you screw up......... like we all do. WMO is a learning curve that looks like a "U" turn until you figure out your trucks particulars. Not trying to discourage you, just looking out for a fellow "oil burner". And making sure that you don't have to use the secret hand signal too often.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230414-171617.jpg
    Screenshot_20230414-171617.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Mike Mck well my imput is to do it lol. i mix 20 somthing gallons of diesel with a gallon or 2 of the wmo. the truck has 2 filters, lower and upper. i havent noticed any differances yet. when i had my idi i did some wmo and diesel mix and later when i pulled my fuel filter there was no color differance longevity wise its tough to say cause people say that you will "ruin" you fuel system when most of the time the componets are already old and need to be replaced.

i am planning on changing fuel filters soon and will give you an update

Black dawg

Reaction score
i dont pre filter the oil before pouring it in, vehicles have oil filters, truck has 2 fuel filters...... therefore it is filter before the injectors........
Filtered to what micron though, and at what cost of the filters on the truck?

I see you are only doing 1 or 2 gallons at a time, probably wont notice any problems for a few hundred tanks anyway, if the oil is relatively clean....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online