AC Delco 15G test...

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
First I wanted to say that this test was not intended to take away from the guy that wanted to do a test on each plug!!

This was an impulse buy, so I figured I would test them also for you guys to see.

Part Number: 15g
I thought that these were 12V Plugs. I was wrong. They have etched in them 17.5V.

These plugs wont work with a GP controller. This is because they test 2.5 ohms out of the box, so I never even hooked them up. I figured it would already give you a short cycle because of the higher resistance. Also they wont ever burn out because they don't get enough voltage to heat up all the way...or even half way for that matter. A secondary source (like block heater) will probably be needed when It's colder. I'll keep posting starting progress throughout the lower temps.

The first test that I did was connecting them to the #2 plug wire and grounding the plug with jumper cables to the battery and using my manual GP button. After 2 minutes, only about 1/3 of the tip was red. Not even orange, just red. I could feel the heat away from only 3 inches from my cheek when it was on, so it wasn't very hot. I think I could compare the temp to a low wattage soldering iron.

You must be registered for see images attach

So I then took off the resistor on the controller, and hooked the GP wires up to the opposite post of the relay so that when it turned on (via GP button) they would get full voltage. That test concluded the same results. The only thing I had to "customize" was the relay cover, which had to be cut to allow for the cover to go exactly where it was without the wires being squished in their new location.

Vid without resistor: Also, the GP's are getting voltage from when the vid starts.

Dial calipers measured the tip at .197" The measurement was exactly the same after the two 2 minute glows. The bullet connectors on the GP harness click into place when pushed onto the bullets. The threads are exactly the same and seat the same.

We will see how good these heat up as is, but I have a feeling that it wont get hot enough. So my thought is I'm going to pick up another plug and do more tests on it. I have 3 batteries in my truck. I was thinking about hooking 2 of them up and seeing how these plugs act to 24V, which is what I think the military version hummer uses, and just having one battery for starting.

Also I know that this is just jumping around at the real solution, which is getting 12V plugs. Do to my money pinch, I had to get something less than dealership price beru's, and couldn't wait for shipping because of work and the holidays. So for $96.00 I got these next day from Napa (which is pretty much the same price at rock auto for berus). So I'm going to run them and try to make them work. The way I see it, even with the low heat that they produce from lower voltage, something heating up in all 8 holes is better that the "1" working GP that I had.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell I woulda squirted diesel on it out of a spray bottle to see if it burned, I am going to guess it will work ok. Unless really cold.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Today I took one out to test it while the truck was running to see how it would heat up with 14.7V. I put an old plug in the hole and tried it out.

This pic was about 1minute and 30 seconds into the burn.

It actually got orange this time instead of faint red.

So it heats up more than before, but is still wanting more. I'm going to look into DC to DC converters. I found an adjustable one that takes 12V in and has an adjustable knob for outages from 15V to 24V.

This morning it was about 25 degrees, and I burned them for about 1 minute. As soon as I hit the starter she wanted to light, but just was shy of being hot enough. So after trying to start for about 3 seconds, I lit the plugs again for 30 seconds and kept them lit after she fired, which took about another 3 seconds of cranking. I'm not unhappy with them, but I will be trying to give them more voltage.

Last edited:

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Update.

Yesterday morning was the coldest I have had to start the truck in. 16* and she didn't like it. Took a 30 second glow, and about 5, 5 second bursts of the starter to fire her up. I didn't let off the plugs until she fired.

Right now its 6* and I'll try starting her in the morning to see how she does being 10* colder.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing these 15G plugs aren't the way to go with our ford idi's. What plug did you end up using?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
They probably would work fine as long as you gave them a 2 minute glow LOL

Nobody got time for that!