Where do you buy coolant test strips that aren't bad?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm rather pissed off.

The nearly expired test strips that fleet pride sold me are bad right out of the packets. The nitrate pad was brown, which the package says to not use if they are. I'll be returning them Monday. They sold me trash and I want my money back.

No other places seem to sell them except online. How the hell do you get them?!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked my local NAPA the same question, because they expire after a year but only come in packs of 100 or whatever which is ridiculous. In my case the NAPA guys will just give you a test strip, because they know if you need SCA's you're about to buy them from them. So if you can't find a similar deal I'd just switch to Final Charge and call it good for the decade. :Thumbs Up

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I asked my local NAPA the same question, because they expire after a year but only come in packs of 100 or whatever which is ridiculous. In my case the NAPA guys will just give you a test strip, because they know if you need SCA's you're about to buy them from them. So if you can't find a similar deal I'd just switch to Final Charge and call it good for the decade. :Thumbs Up

I was hoping not to have to change the coolant right now. I got a pack of 4 from fleetpride for $12. Looks like Napa has a 50 pack for $27 but it's $35 min for free shipping and it won't let me locally pickup. Their oil filters cost twice what O'Reilly charges for the same quality. I might just have to over pay for an oil filter this time to get the test strips for cheaper.

I'm right by an International dealer and they said they have none. It's like nobody here has ever heard of them.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Ok well I ordered the napa (Baldwin) ones and a budget oil filter. From what I've read, those filters are decent. $42 with tax. Only got the AAA 10% off on the filter but oh well. Should get them by Wednesday. And I might have ordered the last coolant tester kit, it's not allowing add to cart anymore.

You must be registered for see images attach

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use precharged coolant in my truck, mostly for this reason

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I use precharged coolant in my truck, mostly for this reason

That's why I ran Zerex G-05 in the RV. But it was highly neglected and the lower hose sprung a leak suddenly when I was messing with vac system diagnostics so i had to panic catch the old coolant in anything i could, aka a dirty dish pan etc.

It's impossible to properly dispose of coolant here, nobody takes it and local govt doesn't provide a means of disposal. I already have about 7 gallons of the crap from the RV I need rid of from 2019. Most is in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. The rest in 1 gallon jugs.

Arkansas suxs.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started getting them direct from accustrip. Like you experienced, too many resellers selling **** that was expired. Normally they last more then a year if stored properly, however if they're brown, they're junk. Don't be surprised if napa sells you junk ones too, I used to get them from napa, and they did the same thing.

IDK if accustrip will sell you a 4 pack by itself. But it might be worth asking.

The problem is most anything made in the last 20 years has switched to elc coolants and doesn't "require" checking. I still check them with the 40240 strips, as it's too easy not to, and the cost per vehicle is minimal. I've caught issues with them in the past, and have also used elc coolants well past their "expiration" date. So long as the PH, freeze point, and inhibitor% is fine, there's nothing wrong with the coolant and it doesn't need dumped.

FYI I don't use nitrited coolants, it doesn't play well with aluminum, which is present in nearly every cooling system anymore.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
6 gallons total? (water + concentrate)
They say to flush the system before adding. Is that anything more than just purging with clear water?

I used an off the shelf Prestone flush kit from Walmart, connected to a heater hose. used an rv water filter and city water with a garden hose to backflush the radiator. then drained the radiator and filled with roughly 50/50. I'd pour in a gallon of distilled, a gallon of concentrated coolant, and another gallon of distilled. after that i used roughly 50/50 in the empty jugs. it's been down to around 7 degrees F and been ok. I think i checked in t with a normal cheap coolant tester and it had enough freeze protection.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 gallons total? (water + concentrate)
They say to flush the system before adding. Is that anything more than just purging with clear water?
Yes total

Keep in mine I have a rather large aftermarket radiator so your capacity may vary

I just flushed with water and a bit of vinegar, the first two times, and just water the third flush.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Oh i did use blue devil flush, i forgot about that

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree it should be about 6 gallons, IIRC. Don't forget about the block drains. They are hard to get to. If you flush the system good without using the block drains you add 3 gals of 100% coolant and then see where you're at. 2 or 3 gallons stays in the block if you don't use the drains. That way is fine if you don't have hard water, but obviously it's best to use distilled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online