Where do you buy coolant test strips that aren't bad?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought test strips on Amazon, 4 or 6 strips individually packaged - the Moly test section is yellow with no corresponding color on the card..... These expire approximately 5/24.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the collective, which is much smarter than me!!!

My coolant has been in the system since at least 2003. Has NO contamination, not even a hint of foreign material floating or swirling. Beautiful old green coolant. The PH still reads great.

I have no plans to change it until I see contamination or the PH starts to decay and go acidic. Is this a dumb strategy?

@Cubey and I were talking with over text and I told him that was my plan using NAPAkool and Ethylene Glycol, low silicate formula (the old green coolant)

I ask, because they say my VW Passat coolant (G12) is a lifetime coolant.....:rolleyes:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the collective, which is much smarter than me!!!

My coolant has been in the system since at least 2003. Has NO contamination, not even a hint of foreign material floating or swirling. Beautiful old green coolant. The PH still reads great.

I have no plans to change it until I see contamination or the PH starts to decay and go acidic. Is this a dumb strategy?

@Cubey and I were talking with over text and I told him that was my plan using NAPAkool and Ethylene Glycol, low silicate formula (the old green coolant)

I ask, because they say my VW Passat coolant (G12) is a lifetime coolant.....:rolleyes:
No, same thing I do, except I check sca % as well, and then adjust that as necessary. The strips and a visual inspection of the coolant will tell you when it's bad.

A lot of "lifetime" fluids out there. What they mean is it's good for the lifetime of the vehicle, which is about 10-12 years. Everything with an idi is well past that LOL.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More like the capability of the owner IMO. A lot of cars aren't taken care of, and it's a daunting task to replace everything that's been neglected since new, then it is to replace a component here or there.

It's hard to justify installing a transmission in something with an engine that leaks, an exhaust that is rotted off, rust/dents in every body panel, and the accumulation of a 2 pack a day habit residing in the interior. Whereas I wouldn't bat an eye on doing that to the same car that's immaculate.

For instance, I just had that exact scenario in the shop. One was a 25 year old camry, and the other was a 10 year old altima. One was taken care of, ran well, and was in immaculate shape. The other was on 4 bald tires, brake wear indicators scraping, and the floor pans and exhaust was rusted out. Guess which was which? If you guessed the camry got the trans, you would be right.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Napa ones expired almost a year ago, December '22. Napa is taking them back without charging me for return shipping.

I guess I'll get these, $32+$13 shipping

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86