A question for you turbo guys.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
I'm wanting to turbo the 79, Out of the 3. what turbo has the best firewall clearance? I hate the idea of MASSAGING the firewall and a bodylift is not an option. Thanks.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
What you might do is take some critical mesurements on your truck and then we can take similar measurements on ours. I'm sure the firewall is different on a 79 than on and 83 up.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The HY pulse turbo is the one with the smallest Up pipes and it sure is not difficult to work arund it. It thought Your truck is already lifted, unless the firewall is much different I don't think it would be a problem for you. Also some time ago I think Darrin Tosh posted one Your year but with a psd maybe the guy can tell You what He had to modify if anything.

on edit. sorry is 72 not 79

Attachments

• 72pstroke.jpg
    72pstroke.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 72stroke.jpg
    72stroke.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 19

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't look at the Banks--that's what I have on mine and I ended up with a "notch" out of the firewall/floorpan for the dp.

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I know even after taking the BFH to Goldie's freshly painted firewall.... It wasn't enought. A bodylift is nearing to eliminate the intermittant vibrational contact......(Very annoying).

Tim not sure what the 79 has for clearance issues but you may have a better time than us.

On the Banks both up and down pipes made firewall contact.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
I took a measurement from the back of the pass side valve cover and it's 4.5 inches The other was from the rear intake manifold bolt pass side to the firewall and it's 6.5 inches I am propobly going to end up with a non gated aftermarket ATS. Will the flat DP from a stocker work on this turbo and if so who's willing to part with one?

Thanks.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i have a non-gated ATS.... with the full 3inch round pipe.

didn't have to touch the firewall. It is close, but as long as the truck is level (on pavement) it doesn't ever come close to touching.

if I'm offroad it *can* hit but isn't very often

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drew, is your truck lifted...or stock height? This seems like the biggest PITA about installing thos ATS units

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
stock height.
lifting a 2wd drive, work truck would be moronic.

yeah the outlets are a lil hard. the downpipe gets twisted in, the up pipe needs to be rocked back and forth until it seals.
Either way, for the first 1000miles, mine popped a lil on startup and would be a lil smoke in the hood (only on startup). After that it seemed to seal.

plenty of red rtv and it was ready to roll.
course I'm of the mind of pulling stuff before an install, I took the starter off and anything else in the way.

I didn't think any of the install was hard. Some things just took longer than others. Lotta pb blaster, and being patient helped.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim,
I vote for the hypermax. With your different cab style, we can't be sure any of the kits would clear it entirely, or collide with it confoundedly.