93 F-250 IDI Smoking

Mobileu47

Reaction score
Hello... FNG here. Just traded my 95 F-150 for a 93 F-250 7.3L IDI NA 4x4 Ex cab. Its smokes at idle. Rich diesel smell. New Beru GP has it starting on its own now. Just put in new/rebuilt BB code injectors. Smokes at idle and quite a bit when revved up. :dunno A couple of cycles of the GP and it starts right up. Kinda choppy when cold w/out hi idle in. When warm runs smooth as baby *** at idle or hi rpm,s. Seems to be a bit o blue in the smoke probably from a dinosaur CDR. Doesn't miss a beat and plenty of power just smokes a bit. It is smoking the same with new injectors as it did with the originals. Possible IP needed?:dunno I will be advancing the timing a RCH soon to se if that makes a difference. Any input or ideas would be great. I drive a truck so my posting may be sparce. Thanks

Mobileu47

Reaction score
Yeah Ive been wondering about the timing. I will do some tinkering in the morning and see what I come up with. Thx for the reply. Any advice is great.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I second that. And to me, it sounds like it may need to get advanced a bit. Proper way to do it is WITH a timing meter but until you source one out, you could just adjust it by ear by moving the top of the pump towards the passenger side to advance and towards the drivers side to retard. Only in very small movements at a time.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
One thing to beware of when timing a diesel... have to do it with engine off. You can't just turn the pump like a distributor on a gasser. Makes it a bit of a pain, but it'll snap the input shaft if you do it with the engine running and then you have a broken injection pump that can't even be used as a core anymore.

Mobileu47

Reaction score
10-4... Thanks guys! Ill be advancing the timing today to see what happens. A friend of mine that had a 6.2L says move the pump about a dime width at a time so I will be trying that. I really don't think the IP has been changed on it. Truck has 288K on it so if its original it will be time for a new IP anyway but in the mean time I will try timing it. I don't trust shops and the diesel timing kit is a lil out of my price range at the moment. Trying to get a used one on ebay. ;Sweet

Mobileu47

Reaction score
If anyone knows where to get a decent timing kit please let me know. Im looking at ferret timing lights. Hopefully they work for what I need. I have seen a few in a price range I can work with.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first red flag for me, was the mention of new/rebuilt injectors. There really is no such thing as rebuilt from most suppliers, they are generally just cleaned and tested and re sold.
Before you do anything, have the injectors pop tested to make sure they all open in a simillar psi range and to make sure you dont have any leakers.
If you find any bad, you really should consider buying a brand new set.

Mobileu47

Reaction score
Yeah I got them from Mylex Intl. off ebay. There are said to be bench tested before they ship. They come in batches of 8 matched injectors. They have 100% positive feed back which is why I went ahead and got them. I don't know of any shops around here that can do that or for a reasonable price. Ive seen a home made pop tester which I have considered. The thing is that the truck smokes the same with the new injectors. So I was leaning towards timing. Its a work in progress and Ill get her figured out eventually along with some forum advice here. ;Sweet

Mobileu47

Reaction score
10-4 0n the rental. Thx. Advancing the pump has done wonders!! It was set at static timing only. Still wanna use a timing meter on it at some point but its ok for now. Not a daily driver. Broke the lower grommet on CDR tube so waiting on that special order part along with a new CDR. Thanks all for the advice! ;Sweet

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
There are a couple of members here that live in Florida, I'm not 100% sure where but hopefully they will chime in. Does itsacrazyasian have timing capabilities?

Mobileu47

Reaction score
That would be nice to hook up with someone around here that may have one. Ive been looking into getting one but they are quite expensive. Its hard to do a lot due to being on the road even tho I do 7 on 7 off. 7 off never seems to be enough time to get stuff done.