6.9, 7.3 N/A, or 7.3 IDIT long block for hi-po build

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
my stock motor is holding up great at 4000+ rpm i still tach it that high now, i have had no problems it sounds great at that rpm feels great eberything, so i think bottom end is solid! all the bottom end needs is studs for rods and mains just for a piece of mind, you might look into cryo treating the rods then i would defently have the rotating assembly balanced for your rpm goal, now valve train needs some work as i have floated the valves, we defintly need some roller rockers valve springs that wont float and as someone else said bigger bolts or studs to keep the rockers inplace and better valve keepers, that should make it solid, then it will need a cam that will perform at the rpm, compression also needs to go way down i was talking to a powerstroke guy about building a big idi and he seemed to think it would work but, i was talking about 18 or 19:1 compression and he sugjested 15 or 16:1 he said then you can feed it lots of boost and timing and it will hold it along with head studs of coarse, cranking will be hard at that compression but a combo of plugging it in high timing and a little either i think it will crank relitivly easy for a low low compression motor

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude its an IDI!! It will hold up LOL. After tearing mine apart, I dont see any reason why these wouldn't hold up to a lot more power than they do right now. I am not going to get into all the specifics but after seeing the Main Bearing caps ( four bolt main) and how big each crank journal is, I would just run it how it is LOL. But thats me. Maybe not Rpm wise, but they should handle a good bit of power.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I would not go with a compression lower than 18.5 at all. Lower than that and it will have a hard time firing on its own. You will need a squirt of some starting fluid.

SWS

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care about the fueling right now, and that's where my patience is wearing thin with everyone telling me that I can't do it. It needs to be a good, strong base first. And that's where the comments directed to Heath, Mel and a few others come from. They say it won't make any more power, based on STOCK fueling.

I said that????? Really???;Really:rolleyes:

Heath

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
WITH A 1468IH INJECTION PUMP AND THE RIGHT FABRICATOR THAT CAN BE MADE LIKE A P7100, AND IDK ABOUT DESTROKED BUT I KNOW DOUBLE OVERTIME USES A INJECTION PUMP FROM A LOCAMOTIVE I HAVE LOOKED AND LOOKED AND LOOKED FOR ONE BUT CANT SEEM TO FIND ANYTHING, ANYONE WORK WITH TRAINS??:sly

It's not from a locomotive. Maybe a D17000 Cat. Well that is kind of a locomotive engine.:D

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I would not go with a compression lower than 18.5 at all. Lower than that and it will have a hard time firing on its own. You will need a squirt of some starting fluid.

SWS

mine has to have eother assisted starts anywayLOL so i wouldnt careLOL

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has to have eother assisted starts anywayLOL so i wouldnt careLOL

you need ether to start 21.5:1 engine already!
lower the compression and you will need ether and
a 40 mph 2nd gear pull to light the POS off...
Javier

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Javier

You might want to edit that real quick idiabuse, just because he needs ether doesnt say anything about the truck/motor other than he probably needs a set of glow plugs. It doesn't hurt anything if the plugs arent warming... also 40 is a little high for 2nd ay??

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I said that????? Really???;Really:rolleyes:

Heath

hesutton said:
these engines peak HP is before 2800-2900 RPM. After 3000-3100, it falls on its face.

Ok, so you didn't say the fueling. But you used stock, or relatively stock, engines in trucks that were dyno'd as examples. Which includes a base DB2 with very few things done to it, correct?

And the off the shelf, relatively tame aftermarket turbochargers, one of which was considered and ran for use in stock pickups.

Also, you can't deny that the current aftermarket fueling available, ie: Moose pump, Moose Misters, DPS pumps and injectors, can overwhelm stock engines and previously mentioned turbos. Proof being that your very own truck made less power with more fuel, since you pushed the turbo way past its map, and don't have the internal motor mods to help it use all the potential energy of the fuel being injected.

My theories may be off the wall, and might come to be completely untrue once it's put into reality, but given the research done through many posts, and countless setups others have tried, I believe if it's a well balanced setup, it will come out where I'd like.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, since ive been getting kinda tired of these kinda posts.

Many of these guys who have had their trucks for a while have put a lot of time, money and thought into their trucks. Health alone has one of the most powerful IDIs that we have seen true Dynos of. People talk about how their truck has so much power or what not, but these guys do know what they are talking about.

Not to say i don't want more power than we have, and ill use Heaths truck as an example. With the moose pump he lost power, but got more boost. We can only assume that this is because he was out of his turbos map. With a DT466 or powerstroke turbo he might have made more power with the same internals he has now. But we have no real way to know that is what happened.

I agree, these engines have potential, but its going to take money. But there are always compromises. So don't knock the guys who use their trucks everyday and value reliability.

LumbermanSVO

Reaction score
For port/valvetrain/cam work you may consider contacting Bo at www.bo-port.com he has worked with the Ford 2.3T crowd for some time and may consider working with you IDI guys on a project like this. I suggest him because the IDI has a fairly small following like the 2.3 does yet he was still willing to spend the time needed to figure out what works best with the engines.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Javier

i have deleted the glow plugs why dont you think twice before you critise me cause i use either the timing and rpm i run eat glow plug tips fast, but im able to pull the 7% grade mountain at 70 mph if i want to in fourth, which is 20 mph faster than stock timing and rpm curves

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to edit that real quick idiabuse, just because he needs ether doesnt say anything about the truck/motor other than he probably needs a set of glow plugs. It doesn't hurt anything if the plugs arent warming... also 40 is a little high for 2nd ay??

he doesent run any glow plugs thats why it wont start at all, and the motor is in good shape not a POS people need to choose their words a little better, if it turns 4400 rpm stays in one peice and sounds like its at 2000 rpm in the process its not a POS, idiabuse will ur motor turn 4400 rpm???

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score

40 a little high mine will turn 50 in secondLOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert