6.9, 7.3 N/A, or 7.3 IDIT long block for hi-po build

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the moose pump he lost power, but got more boost. We can only assume that this is because he was out of his turbos map. With a DT466 or powerstroke turbo he might have made more power with the same internals he has now.

With any turbo that has a more efficient map and will allow good air to around 20 psi of boost, he WILL make more power. With a better flowing topend, in addition to the better turbo, he WILL make power. Cooler, denser air will always make more power, and HELPS with economy and reliability as well. Less heat equals less stresses on internal parts, as there is only so much cooling that can be down with oil.

Why is everyone hung up on a PSD or DT466 turbo? The PSD turbo will be on the low side of it's map at 15 or so psi, and that isn't helping anything either. A DT turbo, depending on original app, will either be super hard to spool, or also be on the low side of the map.

If someone can give me some airflow ratings on a Banks, ATS or Hypermax, I will try to find the map on a PSD or DT charger, and then compare it to what I've been contemplating running.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We talk about the powerstroke turbos and DT turbos because they meet the critreria for most of us:

1: larger than the turbo we have

2: Reasonably priced

3: People who have used them have reported good success.

What more do we have to go on?

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What more do we have to go on?

Given that it's been tried, and people have had success, that's enough for me to consider one. But one point kind of makes me nervous, and that's the one about them being bigger. Bigger doesn't always mean better tho.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given that it's been tried, and people have had success, that's enough for me to consider one. But one point kind of makes me nervous, and that's the one about them being bigger. Bigger doesn't always mean better tho.

Thats whare the extra fuel from the moose pump/ injectors helps if you have the setup properly tuned like having the correct sized turbo (both housings) it will spool just fine, if your worried about spool up time get a PS, DT, or hx35 wastegate it kinda low what ever your comfterble with and plumb it in with your banks, ats, hypermax, twins would spool much faster;Sweet just my thoughts:D

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats whare the extra fuel from the moose pump/ injectors helps if you have the setup properly tuned like having the correct sized turbo (both housings) it will spool just fine, if your worried about spool up time get a PS, DT, or hx35 wastegate it kinda low what ever your comfterble with and plumb it in with your banks, ats, hypermax, twins would spool much faster;Sweet just my thoughts:D

I'm not worried about spool time, or running twins. I'll run a large turbo, if it suits the needs of the engine. I will also run the same size, or slightly smaller, as my current Banks, if it turns out to be more efficient for my uses. Case in point, turbocharger technology has advanced alot in the last few years, and smaller diameter compressor wheels are capable of flowing more air than ever, due to differences in trims, tip lengths etc. That is why I say bigger isn't always better.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HERE is a post by Dusty (91f2504x4) on his DT466 turbo'ed IDI.

And HERE is a link to some of his photos.

He hasn't been posting on here for a bit, but shoot him a PM and I'm sure he'll be glad to answer any questions. He is a real good guy.

Heath

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have deleted the glow plugs why dont you think twice before you critise me cause i use either the timing and rpm i run eat glow plug tips fast, but im able to pull the 7% grade mountain at 70 mph if i want to in fourth, which is 20 mph faster than stock timing and rpm curves

You're saying you actually got a power boost be deleting the glow plugs?

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're saying you actually got a power boost be deleting the glow plugs?

No, he got it with highly increased timing. Just think of the sudden rush of power you get when your truck starves for fuel and the timing advances quick, same situation here except he runs that timing ALL the time.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, he got it with highly increased timing. Just think of the sudden rush of power you get when your truck starves for fuel and the timing advances quick, same situation here except he runs that timing ALL the time.

The force is strong in this one!LOL High RPM AND advanced timing!!!

Actually I've heard of advancing the timing beyond the limit of the glow plugs before. Conventional wisdom says that this will also damage bearings, rings and anything in between, but it seems like a lot of guys are getting away with it.

Makes me wonder where the ideal timing map really is if the glow plugs are holding things back. I lost a couple of them recently too (correct beru), but the truck runs clean and strong with the timing where it was.

Would be interesting to see what long term effects (if any) there will be on other internal engine parts.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt that the amount of timing he's running is doing damage, and considerable wear. But, you need the advanced timing to get the fuel to burn in the narrow window at high rpm, and keep the burn concentrated in the powerstroke, and not extend into the exhaust stroke. But at the same time, since the rotary style pump is capable of variable injection timing, the engine doesn't see the same stresses at all times, unlike some other pumps and engines do. It's a catch 22, and there will be a very fine line on getting it tuned right.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i put a couple dead glow plugs in the cylinders to see if anything would happen to them and i bet i didnt put 50 miles on the engine when i thought hmmm i want to pull them out and look when i did some had tips burned off some there was nothing there and one looked like it got hot and melted:eek:LOL but deleting glow plugs allows you to run more timing which make more power period i highly doubt correct timing will make more power, someone i know has a psd first gen stock it will come over the mountian in 4th doing 55 if he down dhifts to 4th i leave mine in fourth and i can fly over the same mountain at around 70 in my non turbo idi thats if im feeling lucky that day and want to go over the speed limit by15 mphLOL

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
o and something i forgot to mention if im just idleing along sometimes in first gear there a certain spot to were i can be running around 2000 rpm and if i floar it all of a sudden the thing take off like a rocket and goes past 4000 instantly but it dont do it all the timecookoo

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you to run more timing which make more power period i highly doubt correct timing will make more power

What's correct timing in your opinion? And approximately what kind of timing are you running? Should see if you can get that thing on a dyno to see what the gains are with timing cranked way up.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
What's correct timing in your opinion? And approximately what kind of timing are you running? Should see if you can get that thing on a dyno to see what the gains are with timing cranked way up.

correct timing is like 8.5 degrees, mines probly close to what a psd runs when its real cold outside mine sound exactly like a psd running until it warms up and the advance goes off but then it still wants ti kinda sound like one and the thing even lopes like i have herd a cold psd doi wish i knew were a dyno was so i could see how much power im putting out

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are not far from from Beans's diesel. He's is east Tennessee as well. Woodbury to be exact (615)-563-7800. They have a dyno, $85 for three pulls. CLICK HERE. It is about 41 miles from you.

Heath

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online