411 911 Diesel Down

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Well sorta.

symptoms: Loud Clunk sound. Loud Gearish sound When in wheel drive high i can rotate the front drivesaft about 3/4 a turn, then it catches the rear one for about 1/4, it will try to turn it, then slip and go again. Loud gearish sounds, you know the ones that arent good even if your on the other side of Neptune. Gets louder when you lock it in 4 wheel drive. gets really loud when in 4L.

I think its the transfer case. has one else seen this. I called Towcat on it and he too thinks it the transfer case. Any input is welcome

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could disconnect the front driveshaft to eliminate the axle causing it but I agree that it's the transfer case.

Might as well drop it and check it first because it has to come out anyways if the problem is deeper in the tranny.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
it still can go under its own power. I got all the linkages out, cept the rear driveshaft. Ford bright idea to put torques sockets or them damn star things, what ever you wanna call them. Well im gonna go back to work on it

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Those would be Torx screws.Great design if they would use them and not alternate between Torx,Hex,12Point,Flat heads,Phillips,allen,etc etc etc.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
:mad: Well I found out the problem. lack of oil and the pump seized. Now i need to find one to replace it with. I got some attached pics.

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 34

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad: Well I found out the problem. lack of oil and the pump seized. Now i need to find one to replace it with. I got some attached pics.

Cool, not really, but its good you nailed the problem down.

Here's one place you can get parts. http://www.drivetrain.com/

Couple choices to make at this point is to rebuild it yourself for about $250 and up and know what you have, get a rebuilt or used case.

Approximate prices off the top of my head
  • Rebuild kit with gaskets, seals, bearings, filter and new pads $100
  • Fork $50
  • Oil pump $75 - $100

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well at least it was easy to find. I'll bet you will be checking the oil level all the time in the new case...... At least for a little while...:dunno When I find the reason something broke because I didn't maintain it I'm all over it till I see a wear pattern. Then I back off just a little because I'm seeing how things are wearing. Its called CBM..... Condition based maintance..... Others call it crash & burn maintance...LOL

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Well I got it repaired, anyways. Im gonna start checking my transmission fluid level and transfer case level when i change my oil, i figure i can do it when its draining.

The transfer case i found, was used, but the guy i got it from said it has been built recently, and looking at it, i beleive it has. Atleast i hope so, i got it in there, took a short run up the road, put more fluid in it. went up the road, locked in 4x4 and hit the trail. MY idea of testing is, If its gonna break lets make it break as soon as possible. Well it didnt break, so we're all good now. (we=me and my truck) Well im off to bed. Im just glad to have her back

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Bah, the rear output housing is leaking where it mates to the transfer case, time to get a tube of RTV, or could someone tell me where to get this gasket