2006 expedition build

ironmanavy

Reaction score
I hope the title doesn't fool you. Because I will be taking this 2006 Ford expedition with engine and transmission trouble.
You must be registered for see images attach
and dropping this 94 7.3 idi with a factory turbo and an E4OD.
This is going to be my wife's daily driver and the kid hauler. I'll post more as the build progresses.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. This will definitely be one to watch.

I have an 08 expedition. Really like it.

If the engine and or transmission ever dies I'd be tempted to do what you're doing.

Do post pics of the progress!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well kudos for this idea! Few questions... what are you going to do for emissions? That’s what keeps people from putting IDIs in newer vehicles since regardless of drivetrain that vehicle is always expected to pass its year models’ epa regulations.

Are you going to do a stand-alone computer for the e40d?
Are you going to use the expedition rad? Because I can tell you now that will be insufiecent for that idi.
Are you going to doghouse or recess the firewall? Gonna be a tight fit especially with a turbo!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome!!

The emissions question is valid. That being that new a vehicle you may have issues. I don’t know what VA law is on the matter but by EPA it is an illegal engine swap. That said, so is practically every Cummins swap but they are driving around. It is up to the states to enforce it. Here in MD I don’t think it could pass emissions because they smog everything like 96 and newer unless it was born diesel. Then it’s only the newer obd diesels they check.

Regardless, it’s an awesome idea. That’s a nice platform. May have to find some beefier torsion bars for the front. If it’s like my half ton ford it doesn’t have coils. I would also go ahead and invest in the best quality wheel bearings and ball joints you can find while you are at it. The modular v8s were not real heavy in comparison.

ironmanavy

Reaction score
So I'm going to sit down this evening and write up my plans and goals for the whole build. I do appreciate all the input and questions y'all can come up with you'll probably catch something i missed.

As far as emissions in my area it's a visual inspection and they are pretty lax. But if they have an issue with it I'll register it in Florida. I have home of record there.

Yes I'm going to use a standalone TCM but I don't know which one. If y'all have any suggestions I'm open to them.

I got lucky on the radiator and found a mishimoto for a 6.4 powerstroke for 185$. Has a crack at the upper corner a little time with a tig will fix that. It's fine on width but I have to notch, box and gusset the front of the frame to shove it in there. I'll also be ditching the clutch fan for 2 electric fans.

As far as weight and size I think you'd be surprised. The 5.4 3v with an iron block weighs in at 857 lbs undressed. While the 7.3 is at 860. The 5.4 3v is within a half inch of the turbo when measured from the mounts the 7.3 is 2 inches longer but I gain 6 by ditching the clutch fan. And they are the same in width. The 06 does have coilovers all around. Ranchero makes one that lifts the truck 1 inch normally. So I'm going to put those in just in case. The part I'm worried about is the CV joints for the independent rear suspension.

Tonight after I go pick up the radiator and the core for the E4OD I'll post more about my plan and the history of the engine it came out of the weirdest truck I've ever seen I'll give you a teaser the drive shaft was about 12 to 15 foot long.

One last thing I ran into my first *** is this. Can anyone tell me what this is.
it sits just off the balancer.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be your timing mark for setting the engine at tdc and for timing the injection pump

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Mag probe goes in the top hole. As for the rear suspension, the independent stuff wasn’t great but I don’t think your power will break it unless you have “plans” for the turbo IDI. The exploders around that era had issues with seals I believe.

ironmanavy

Reaction score
My goals for this build are to run down the highway at 70MPH @2000RPM or less. Rear end is 3.31 so i feel this is reasonable with the E4OD. Get better gas milage than the 12 MPG it gets now. Make the wife happy.

Lets start with the engine. I t came out of a 94 f350. 2 owners ago the frame was stretched about 5 feet. A bed from another truck was combined with the front of the bed from a 3rd truck. To make a 4 door cab 5-6ft and a second 8ft bed. longest 1 ton i've ever seen. The rear drive shaft was about 12'. I did get to meet a very knowledgeable really nice guy in virginia beach. The day i went to buy the motor from him. Josh caught me up on the weak points of the engine has helped me come up with solutions to get this motor running.
On to the work.
-Replace falling apart fuel return hoses with R and D idi's rails and braided hoses.
-Change fuel pump to an electric pump going with the duralift 40222
-new injectors wanted to use r&d idi but they are sold out. What injectors have yall had success with?
-rebuild the turbo kits only 40$ just makes sense while i have it out.
-Im on the fence about the injection lines. I can't find any leaks but the chrome is off and they are rusting in a couple of places.
-Install a coolant filter cheap 6.0 kit with a wix filter
-replace downpipe
-new glow plugs and connectors old ones fell apart in my fingers
-also on the fence about an intercooler
-Radiator will the mishimoto all aluminum for the 6.4 Powerstroke found it for 185 with hairline crack on tank so i need to tig that. It will require cutting a notch out of the front of the frame but for the price i cant beat it.
-clutch fan is gone replaced with 3 3000 cfm 16" electric fans with custom shroud. This gains about 6" in front of the motor.
-i need to build a custom instrument panel to change values on gauges and add fuel pressure, a pyro, and boost.
-turn up injection pump 1-2 flats to make getting on highway a little better.
-play with waste gate to make no more than 12 psi.
-Replace all rubber gaskets to seal up leaks.
-paint the engine IH RED.
-The hydro boost is going in the expy from the f350
-Redo the wiring harness for the engine. Its not in good shape.
-Wrap the exhaust and insulate the fire wall
-new pass through muffler
-all new filters/fluids
-"Black Beast" E4OD built buy monster and a standalone controller don't know which one yet. I'm still doing research if anybody has input please give it.
-new drive shaft
-The one part that almost shut this build down the flexplate. Until r&d gave me a brilliant idea. Take the flywheel off the engine and a NA flexplate to a machine shop have them balance the flexplate to match the flywheel.
-I have to keep the PCM to run support systems like ABS. So a program to make the computer a zombie. Maybe. With no check engine light i might just let it scream silently.
-gas pedal out of an older f150. So i have a cable.
-after i get it running it gets new coilovers from ranchero that'll lift the truck 1" and new beefy seals and cv joints.
Im sure i'm forgetting something. Im going to finish stripping the engine today so ill post more pics after.

ironmanavy

Reaction score
Does anybody have a filter/water separator in between the pump and tank? how does it affect the electric pump?

ironmanavy

Reaction score
Got the engine ready to be cleaned today
notice the rats nest under the injection pump
after I vacuumed the nest and about half of a tree out
tomorrow it gets pressure washed and I start replacing seals

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome project, just a couple of quick thoughts;

-I'm not sure you'll want to/be able to put hydro on that. New vehicles have a much more robust braking system than the old ones and it may mess with the ABS as well. I've had issues in the past modifying brake systems (different master cylinders/adding disc brakes, etc). Just a head's up.

-I know Baumann makes a controller, but I've heard mixed reviews. http://www.becontrols.com/

-Good luck with the gauges, those can be tricky.