1st time towing - Lackluster performance.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its only 1500lbs....and it could be more it could make your load 5300lbs+. I'm lucky with my boat...even though its a dual axle it weighs only 600lbs empty....its aluminum.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It tow's quite heavy empty to tell you the truth. I borrowed it from a buddy - I'll be borrowing it for racing next summer until I get my own....I think it's a 18ft deck...It will haul a reg cab 1/2 ton truck.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towed with my 91 for the 1st time today - about 5000+lbs between the 301 CAT and the trailer - not overly impressed with the power.....
The old rig has a 3-4 trips to the quarry to haul 8-10 ton of gravel in the morning so it will be working hard this weekend.

Sounds like it's performing about right to me for an N/A. These trucks get their highest torque around 1800rpm, and highest hp way up over 2500. They don't go fast, but can pull hard all day.

I have an old TT that weighs in over 6,000 and my '86 pulled it just fine on the flats in OD with 3.55 gears at 100k, but on the big grades it was down into 3rd and sometimes 2nd-over at 2500rpm, about half throttle, 1,000 on the pyro and grinding along at 55-60k for ages. I just sat back, and put on the tunes, and enjoy the scenery.

You may get a bit more out of it if you get your timing checked, but it might be just fine. Tired old pump and injectors can really affect things too.

Be careful about holding it WOT without a pyro in there. I melted an engine doing that. On my present truck, if I'm climbing a grade, and I can just see a wisp of smoke trail, the pyro will be dabbling 900deg. if I get into it more, and start to get the black plume, the temps will jump up over 1100deg. and I'm talking right now!! Aluminum melts a little over 1200, so keep that in mind!

I'd say, take your time, don't expect too much out of the old girl, and she'll get the job done for you...

Zigg :)

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Who knows if the injectors or IP have ever been touched....I can't complain as it was keeping up in traffic so I wasn't holding up the universe...LOL

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I pull a Komatsu PC75 (17,000 lbs) on a gooseneck 10 ton trailer with my IDI and my only concern is the EGT's. Although I believe my high EGT's are due to probe location (in exh. manifold). Mine is turbo'd, but power wise it does quite well as long as I "hit" the hill under heavy throttle, not waiting for the power to fall back before accelerating.
These guys are sharp and will help you solve your problem, or give you realistic expectations.
Good luck.
Chuck

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
No turbo's for me, the main feature of the IDI that I like is the low cost factor....I spend all day replacing expensive parts on diesel engines - I don't mind it when it's not my money...LOL....I'll check a few things, repair/replace as needed and live with it as is...It still pulls better than my little 5.0 would have.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No turbo's for me, the main feature of the IDI that I like is the low cost factor....I spend all day replacing expensive parts on diesel engines - I don't mind it when it's not my money...LOL....I'll check a few things, repair/replace as needed and live with it as is...It still pulls better than my little 5.0 would have.
here's a driving suggestion....
if you are staying non-turbo, rpm's between 2500 to governor rpm is perfectly ok when under load. these motors can handle it with no problems. a less restrictive air filter is a good help too. My f450 carrier saw 15-18k gross regular and sometimes 21k. load it up and floor it;Sweet You work as a mech and have seen what company trucks go through, you can't hurt yours worse.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have a K/N filter in it now with the baffle in the air cleaner removed as well....Like they said above, could be partially due to an old IP and injectors....In any case, it is what it is and I don't tow with it that often....I haul heavy loads in the bed regularly and it handles that with authority.:backoff

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd venture a guess at that trailer being 2000lbs or heavier, my buddy James' old 18 foot carhauler(3500LB axles, hydro brakes, built pretty light) was at 2K empty.
You must be registered for see images attach

That's with his trailer, truck on the trailer is my 460 truck, looking at nearly 8K lbs behind the truck(it was coming back with the chassis packed with mud... LOL.)
Last race weekend this year, I borrowed a different trailer(as James sold that one.)
You must be registered for see images attach

The trailer doesn't look much different, but, it's a 21 footer with an 18' tilt deck, 14,000 GVWR, 16" crossmember centers, etc. Long story short, it's about 4000 empty...
If you look closey, you'll notice no front plate on the 460 truck... It still sports it's NS plate... It wasn't a 4wd 3/4 ton, and didn't have a 460 when I drove it here though... LOL

I actually weighed stuff this time around, as I was concerned with my licence, I'm only good for 4600KG(10,141lb) towed, and I JUST squeaked under it at 9,978lbs trailer weight, with tools/supplies etc. added to the load in the diesel(not in the picture for the most part,) I was at 17,570lbs GCWR or thereabouts... It certainly doesn't look that heavy does it?
With my non gated turbo, I have to drive it high in the rpms towing, just like a N/A truck, it's happiest cruising at 2500 and above(110kph or so) and you don't wait for it to lose on a hill to put the power on, if you drive it accordingly, you don't lose on hills thanks to the turbo.

If you're planning on staying N/A, absolutley do not be scared to keep those rpm's up there, almost have to start thinking it's a 2 stroke Detroit.... LOL

Just curious, but, what kind of racing are you into?

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The trailer is a Friesen, 3500lb axles - very close to the trailer in your first pic. If it is 2000lbs that puts me handy to 6000+lbs so that explains it a little.

I'm building a 94 Ranger for drag racing. Carb blow-thru twin turbo 357W, C4, custom fabbed rear chassis, 4 link, coil overs, air/air intercooled and etc....Using a pair of GM 6.5 diesel turbo's...Everything built by yours truly (including the engine) so if it goes ***'s up I have no one else to blame. -cuss cookoo :rotflmao

You must be registered for see images

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
No meter's at my shop, the only mechanical diesels we see anymore are mostly P7100 pumps on 5.9's and 8.3 Cumm-a-parts.....We pin the engine, pin the pump, mark the serpentine belt and advance it about the thickness of the line on the belt to sharpen it up a little....I'm going to check with my co-worker who was at IH for 25 years, he may have one.

I hope the ranger runs good - it's a lot of work/money building it. We are hoping to run mid to low 10's with it.