1st time towing - Lackluster performance.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Thanks, trying to do the best that I can with what I have....If you don't try you'll never learn....That's my modo....The pics are old, there is more work done - mostly small details that would be hard to notice.

Just for the hell of it I took a look at my IP, both my static and dynamic timing scribe marks are directly lined up with the marks on the gear cover and there is some red paint pen marks near the fuel lines too.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Cool looking ranger. Looks like you are well on your way to "hooking" it up. My V8 s10 had one heck of a time grabbing anything, even at 50 MPH or so! They are tremendously light in the rear, but a nice suspension setup should do wonders. Boy, I want to get a big building built and build another one...something to do with my time!

I have had two 18 foot trailers, a Boot Heel (10,000 GVWR weighed 2240 empty) and my current heavy duty International (14,000 pound GVWR weighs 3200) so you are probably not far off at 1800 to 2000 lbs.

Having had 3.55 gears, I can tell you that these things seem anemic at best with those gears compared to the current 4.10's under mine. Unlike you, I pull with mine about 80% of the time, it sits in the yard until someone needs something HEAVY pulled! :) As was said, it will do it and not moan about it at all, just won't do it fast. I pulled a load of firewood up to our clubs cabin once with the 3.55's on a steep hill, but a public road and thought I was going to have to shift to 4 WD low to make it. It just literally ran out of power. I can pull the same load, give or take a log or two, up the same hill now in second gear without the EGT's hardly moving.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 3.55s do suck a bit more for towing in NA form, but I have Scott's pld 3.55s under my F250, and it was always enough even with the boat....or a cord of wood. I believe now with the turbo, it wouldn't matter much unless I got into the 15Klb and up range.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My truck weighed in at 6500lbs I believe so with the trailer the GVW would be over 12000lbs. I took the trailer and machine back yesterday, tried driving it a little different and it helped a lot...Pulled much better....Sometimes less is more...Atleast that's what I tell the wife...LOL:rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online