$1.40 per litre for Diesel....WMO.

unclewilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plan to do both wvo and wmo just getting started running app. 80 percent wmo in diesel tractor.. been doing alot of reading and setting up an appleseed processor... found a comercial heat exchanger at work for heating ..about five foot long and 4 inches around.. weve got a simple coil maker to bend tubing. gonna run a coiled line into tank for preheating the tank then use my heat exchanger in line .. then check temp of line before injectors to see if i need more heat source if so been thinking about the glowplug pre heater . or coils around filters with heat wrap . fuel tank is app. 35 feet from motor and heat lines will run parrell to fuel lines for some transfer heat . gonna pre heat both wmo and wvo. be using mostly veg oil i hope but do have a source for app. 2000. gals wmo.wich i want to store . also gonna transfer with if it works is a indoor spa tub pump. hooked up to an inverter.using all back woods country second hand yard sale stuff... been scrounging junkyards and i work in a factory been going thru all the scrap if u think anything im thinking wont work or know it wont let me know my conversion is my avatar 3208 cat non turbo 1986 model tks all been getting alot of info from fellow posters tks robert

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I hauled an F150 4x4 super cab long box yesterday and a Dakota 318 supercab 4x4 today while running on the WMO, worked good and pulled fine...No smoke and I climbed some steep hills too...LOL....Time to try some waste 15w-40 from work for the next fill up.....Rotella T anyone???....:rotflmao

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I made another 40L of "Stu fuel" tonight, 1/2 15w-40 Rotella T and 1/2 dyed furnace oil from work....Filters much faster at only 20psi....We have a drip barrel under the tap we use to fill fuel filters...I have claimed "rights" to the drippings...cookoo :rotflmao...5 more 20L pales to be filled tommorow...I'll be on any full services like flies on ****....

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this oil burning sounds great to me.... especially since the big Ogger Oil reclaim outfit here in Portland is staking claim to all the restaurant's. The thing about used oil from like a jiffy lube or Firestone is what about any solvents that might be in the used oil??? how will that effect the system, and how could I easily test for it???? Im sure with a couple of 55g drums in the truck I could talk them out of as much as I wanted to suck out... seeing how most of them pay to have it hauled off

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im looking to start burning oil too, could someone create a parts list for what one would need to create a filter setup.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
well for my set up the tank is just a well expansion tank i picked up for free pulled the rubber bladder out and it already had pipe fittings on the bottom. the filter i used is a goldenrod Model# 495-3/4 filter head with a 10 micron rated filter for the first step. the second step uses a Ace hardware whole house water filter head P.N. 46764 with a 1 micron filter P.N. 45671. all of the stuff to do it i have found on the shelf of my local tractor supply.

obviously there are tons of differant ways to build one depending on what you got kicking around and availible to you. its not really a "this is how you build it" and thats it type of thing.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I might have just scored a 300 gallon plastic chemical tank for my storage of oil. Going to set that up on one of my trailers with a pump and go collecting.

watercat

Reaction score
cool set up unclewilson, so what kind of mixes are you running. i like the cheby hub capLOL

i agree with bigrig though i feel much better with more filtering and dont consider it a waste to do so. even if my pump and injectors can push a bunch of 20 micron sized pieces i would rather not force it to continuously. i have never heard someone say man i wish i would filtered that less. i paid about $25-30 to add my second 1 mic filter and feel it is cheep insurance.

I see why you would agree with big rig and his not wrong on more filtering will not hurt. But what I do know from reading this blog is that know one here is running 100% WMO. I know this becuase if you filter with fuel filters the plug up pretty quickly at 1 micron. If your really worried about 20 microns before you start your engine again you need a centrifuge on your oil system. Babbet bearings on your cam and rods mains are so soft compared to any thing in your IP.

My point that was missed was that fuel filters can add up when your cleaning stuff out of the fuel that is easily burnt during normal operation.

When you guys really start running WMO the only conversation here will be about fuel pumps. Anyone running waist motor oil under 60F outdid temps and not having a problem is running a blendof diesel. With the way I do it your only cost is the oil since thefilters don't plug not to mention there free.

There is just know way all hardened parts in a IP wear faster than engine bearings. But even if they did the fuel cost savngs alone is worth it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Id love to run straight WMO but I wouldn't like the smoke and extra parts needed to heat it so it would flow on a cold morning....If I can run 50/50 with diesel then I'm happy as it still cuts my fuel bill in 1/2 and I don't need any special work done to my truck to burn it.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id love to run straight WMO but I wouldn't like the smoke and extra parts needed to heat it so it would flow on a cold morning....If I can run 50/50 with diesel then I'm happy as it still cuts my fuel bill in 1/2 and I don't need any special work done to my truck to burn it.

Thats the same rationalization i have.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I will probably run 60-70% once I get going with it and get comfortable with it. That 300 gallon tank of oil would make 400 gallons of fuel at a 25% ratio which takes my fuel cost to .97 a gallon at todays price.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have to agree that the babbet bearing are much softer than what would be in the pumpi just like having all the crud out i can get. i have probubly run about 150 gal through my 1 mic filter and it hasent plugged yet which i think is a good sign. i only collect from people i know and havent gotten to the point of gettingit from a garage or anything......yet. i do all the filtering before it hits my tank though and my fuel filters havent plugged on me yet.

i have bought a heat exchanger and and stuff to do a hose in hose set up for veg oil. maybe i will set that up and use it for WMO to with a tank in the bed. i know it dousent need to be nearly as hot but it wouldent hurt especially when we get down into the single digits here so i can keep running it year round.

i am going above and beyond but it would be nice to run year round without a problem

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I don't need a tank in the bed of my truck - I use my truck to haul too many things. Filtered WMO going into the tank lesson's the chance of a roadside episode too. I'll run it stronger than 50/50 in the summer as long as it will start and there is no smoke. I have 120L of 15w-40 Rottella here to use for the next month or so that I got from work....I know all the good truckers that look after their gear and do regular oil changes so as soon as I see one in the shop for a service I drop two 20L buckets next to their rig....LOL....I also dropped off some buckets at my buddy's tranny shop to collect some ATF as my special "cleaning" ingredient...:rotflmao

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am starting to build my setup. Right now I am still getting the parts together. I have 2 of those big square plastic tanks and I talked to a buddy of mine and I can get all his oil. So now I am just coming up with the pump to get it from his tank to mine and the filters to filter it.

This is my plan for my mix. 100 gal. of diesel, 100 gal. of oil, and 1 gal. of power service. I will take me about a month to burn 200 gallons of fuel so will I have a problem with it gelling or anything?