ip doesnt pull wmo as easy as diesel

oilguywmo

Reaction score
good evening,

i have a 1990 corolla with a 1c diesel idi and a bosch ve type rotary pump. i run wmo at 70/30 wmo rug. i filter down to 1 micron with a sock. i have a two tank setup with 2 3 way ball valves. when i am diesel, i dont get much engine hesitation. when i am on waste motor oil, i get a certain engine hesitation and the engine turns off at idle. i already upped the idle speed and it hasnt changed. its like if i am on.waste motor oil going at 30 mph and suddenly brake, thevm vehicle wont maintain idle and it will turn off. on diesel it will maintain idle after sudden deacceleration.

also when starting on waste motor oil i notice i have to push the accelerator pedal all the qay in when i crank the engine to get it to atart quick, while when i start on diesel i dont have to push the gas pedal in so much.

i think the lift pump is weak on the ip.

perhaps a 12 volt carter 4061 electric inline fuel pump will help with starting and mainting idle, that or replacing the lift pump on the ip. the mechanic recommended an ip guy who tried to fix the pump but said it needed a good cleaning. another mechanic said also to have an ip guy clean the pump. this ip guy recommended to replace the lift pump on the ip. the ip still had the fuel mixture screw safety on it so i would assume that means this pump has not been opened since new 33 years ago. at the least i am looking at a pump rebuild with new lift pump for the ip. does this sound par for the coursw? any suggestions

cheers

fran

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there was such a car! Amazing. That is an old IP and is probably well overdue for a rebuild. Your mix sounds like you should not be having a viscosity issue. So here's my idea to try before you marry a rebuild: change your fuel filter, even though you filter your oil well there's still an accumulation of stuff. I'm not sure where you're at in the universe, but unless you're in Australia like @Far Right, it's probably cold where you are and heating your WMO might be necessary. I would also add that 30% RUG sure seems heavy, I might bring that down to 15-20%. If that doesn't seem thin enough and you wanted to thin more, I would recommend using diesel. @Mt_Man could chime in and give his .02¢ when he logs in

But I say this to all the pioneering WMO users: WMO is an experiment with a learning curve that looks like a U turn sometimes. There's no hard fast answer, you have to mess around with your car and your climate to figure out what works for you. I live in NW Florida, I can run a different mix than the Oregon/Washington members like @Mt_Man. And it's so hot in Australia year round that @Far Right can pour sludge in his tanks and it will liquify before it reaches the lift pump. So keep on keeping on and let us know what you find. I'd like pictures of your little diesel car. Will it go fast? I'd straight pipe it and make it sound like a tractor!

oilguywmo

Reaction score
yes, indeed! its a jdm model. i am in central america, average annual temperature is around 87 degrees fahrenheit. i think 70 / 30 rug is good as the oil i get is diesel oil that is heavy.
the corolla basically looks like this here a stock photo:
You must be registered for see images attach

depends on your definition of fast, if it includes vehicles with about 70 hp then it might be. i already put a hot air intake on it and it sounds kind of throaty.

i will look into the fuel filter change idea, i was under the impression that i had changed it going to check and see if i indeed got it changed. if i did, then i guess the pump rebuild would be a good idea. if i didnt i will change it and see what happens.

oilguywmo

Reaction score
Hello, I have a ve type mechanical rotary injection pump (toyota corolla 1c diesel engine dual fuel tank setup) which has a mechanical fuel lift pump built in, which probably is enough for the flow of diesel fuel, though since I was running WMO and the fuel pump was 30 years old the built in mechanical lift pump in the IP couldnt flow the WMO well enough (got the fuel pump rebuilt including a new replacement mechanical lift pump that is in the IP) and now I am looking at adding auxiliary fuel pumps to help the mechanical lift pump to flow the heavy WMO.

The vehicle has two fuel circuits as is:
Fuel circuit no.1 from the fuel filter to the IP
Fuel circuit no.2 from the second fuel tank (WMO) to the fuel filter
I will NOT run the WMO until I have installed auxiliary electric fuel pumps on both fuel circuits so as to not stress the mechanical lift pump.

For the fuel circuit that goes from the fuel filter to the Injection pump I have already installed an auxiliary electric 2-6 psi facet posi flow type in line chinese fuel pump from hibari, a colombian brand, that has worked nicely so far.

For the fuel circuit that goes from the second fuel tank (WMO) in the trunk to the fuel filter, I would like to install the last auxiliary electric fuel pump to help the WMO flow really well, so I can start using WMO again. What kind of electric pump could help get WMO from the second fuel tank (WMO) located in the trunk to the fuel filter to help the mechanical lift pump built in to the ve type injection pump?

Has anyone had experience with these fuel pumps?
Carter Electric 12V P4601HP
Carter Electric 12V (P4070)
Carter Electric 12V (P4594)
EVIL ENERGY External Inline Fuel Pump Electric 300LPH High Flow 12V
Walbro Frb-5
Which would you recommend please?
Would the fuel filter handle well the pressure of the carter p4601hp, around 6 to 15 psi?
Would I need a fuel pressure regulator for the carter p4601hp or does the fuel filter act as a regulator?
Would the carter p4601hp be better to mount near the second fuel tank (WMO) or closer to the fuel filter?

Thanks
J

Fattima

Reaction score
I ran a 300tdi Discovery on WVO. They have a VE type pump but Land Rover also installed a lift pump from factory, the factory one was mechanical and when it failed I installed a Walbro FRB pump. Worked well for me on WVO.