“The 6.9” project thread

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something interesting. The spring from the regulator that made the super low pressure is a little taller than my original one. Now I’m pretty damn sure this is my issue as it had perfectly fine oil pressure before this oil cooler swap. The deepest I went was taking the heads off as well. But the spring kinda puzzles me. I swapped the guts over and I shimmed it like I had before and I can feel a difference in the spring

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not afraid to admit I did something wrong at all.

I did something wrong. I think I stuck the bypass closed somehow and now it has 50 psi at idle. That is an issue. I’ve done this like 4 times with no issues. I’m not sure how I messed it up. At least I know that I was on the right track

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been absent from my regular life for the past week. My girlfriends’ sister got married in Washington. We stayed on San Juan island. It was very enjoyable just going around and taking everything in. I used to travel a lot when I was little but I don’t remember it well. Since I’ve gotten older I haven’t gotten to see as much as I used to.

My grandfather has an old 6 pak camper, I sorta bought it off of him a couple years ago. I’ve used it a few times but never really dove into it. I think me and the lady will go through it and get it looking a little better. I’d really like to start going out and exploring a lot more. So hopefully as soon as I get the 6.9 back on the road and reliable once again I can start using it for fun.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah we picked up a used camper so I can convince my wife she likes it enough to buy a newer one :angel:

It's nice to go to Rallys out here and stay in a cabin, but it costs more per night and you have to put up with what they call a mattress but it's really more of a couch cushion LOL

This way we can put a nicer mattress in the camper and can drive for a while and park at a truck stop along the way on longer trips. Because you know they'll all be longer with the ol IDI chugging along :D

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to fire it up today and just make sure my craftsman was alright. Fired right up. The timing is really retarded because all it is is lined up on the scribe marks so it smokes a lot and idles really rough until it warms up some. At cold idle oil psi is at 20 but rye minute I go past 1000 rpm it shoots up past 40.

I’ve never experienced a loss of oil pressure. I don’t think it is an internal thing. I think it is the regulator. On my old oil cooler it would idle at 12 psi all day long. Most of the time it was around 15. If you guys have any thoughts to this feel free to chime in. It’s nice having a thread that I can kinda vent my frustrations/thoughts on.

These oil systems are high volume low pressure and Fords specs for idle oil pressure is basically 7psi or higher. That's what the pressure switch for the oil gauge is set to on my era IDI.

I don't remember where you're pulling your pressure from but if it's tee'd into anything that uses oil(like the turbo feed line) your reading will always be lower than it could be at the block.

A good hot idle pressure reading at the block is 20psi. But could be just fine and dandy in the teens as well.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These oil systems are high volume low pressure and Fords specs for idle oil pressure is basically 7psi or higher. That's what the pressure switch for the oil gauge is set to on my era IDI.

I don't remember where you're pulling your pressure from but if it's tee'd into anything that uses oil(like the turbo feed line) your reading will always be lower than it could be at the block.

A good hot idle pressure reading at the block is 20psi. But could be just fine and dandy in the teens as well.
My issue was that it was less than 7 psi even hooked up to the block. At this point I think I have it all good I just need to put the oil cooler back on. The old oil cooler would idle at 15 psi all day with the gauge pulling from the turbo. So I’d like to just get the pressure back up to around there.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got everything back together and it’s now back to daily driver duty! I’m really happy. The firewall had broken around the clutch pedal, I guess that’s pretty common on this body style. I was able to put a couple tack welds on it to hold until my reinforcement plate gets delivered. Then I’ll pull all the pedals out and mod the brake pedal for the hydroboost. The brakes are fantastic! I have never been able to stop this quickly and effortlessly. The exhaust is very nice, it’s quiet in the truck but loud out back. Sounds great next to a wall/fence/building. Getting the driveshaft rebuilt has probably been one of the most immediately satisfying things I’ve done to this truck. It has always had a vibration over 2300 rpm and that is completely gone; I feel like I could balance a pen on the shifter. That was worth the money. Now it’s been very hot here, about 100 consistently for a week or 2 now. The truck never went or 195 degrees. I think (I haven’t driven it a lot but I’m sure it would’ve shown earlier) I won’t have any head gasket issues. The original issue was 100% my fault but a very important learning experience for me. Glad to have my truck back.

Attachments

• E746140F-38B4-4081-A1C7-EEE52EA32735.jpeg
    E746140F-38B4-4081-A1C7-EEE52EA32735.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I believe my power steering pump is going out. And when I start it when it’s cold it idles really rough and runs pretty bad until it warms up. I suspect that to be timing. There’s no air in the fuel. I just need to mess with it more. But once it warms up it runs awesome.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also cleaned it up today

Attachments

• 6B0E17DA-41E9-49D2-AA3C-982BBE4DA184.jpeg
    6B0E17DA-41E9-49D2-AA3C-982BBE4DA184.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 95C44AA1-F169-4C02-B446-DF684010A050.jpeg
    95C44AA1-F169-4C02-B446-DF684010A050.jpeg
    352.1 KB · Views: 20

Forum statistics