ZF5

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well got my 89 parts truck home saterday(blown 7.3 4x4 with zf5).removed engine and tranny and found the rear mount on the zf5 broken -cuss ,not the whole thing just the ear on the right side,the left side is still good.
has anyone seen this before?,if so have you gotten it welded with good results?i'm going to swap this into my 92 that has the worthless E4OD.
good news is that the clutch and dual mass are perfect shape even with 210,000 on the truck,and they are factory ;Sweet
anybody need some extra parts from a 89,if not she's going to scrap after i get the swap parts removed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
and for anyone whos done the e4od to zf conversion,any tips,pointers. :D
I got good news and I got bad news......good news, you have the most expensive part needed to do the job. the tranny is the biggest item. the floorplate and Hyd system is good too.
Bad news, to complete the conversion, you will need the pedal assy off a '92+ truck.
Not so bad news, If you want to make it look sanitary on your conversion, you will need a steering column for manual and ideally the dash wiring harness to really make it look clean. I just change over then enitre dash(less bolts to do). One more thing, if you don't have holes in your firewall for the clutch master, drill it for the '89, parts are cheaper. If you do have the holes already there and just have to remove the block-off plate, get the master for the '92 and be done with it.
Drop a line here if you have any other questions.

added inedit....
forgot too add....these cases are weldable. use the mount as a jig so you can weld the ear back on. Also, check the bellhousing from the starter bulge to the top of the case for cracks. very common if you have a busted ear already.

Last edited:

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
my cab has the plate there,so does that mean the master and slave cylinder from the 89 wont work?
i kinda knew about the pedal assembly,95stroker(i think) had a set he wanted to sell,but i havent heard from him lately.
the steering colum is because of the auto shifter right?but whats the deal with the wiring harness? :confused:
will the pedals and colum and harness from 92+ halfton work as they are more of them avalible around here.
would you be afaid to use a ZF5 with 210,000 on it without a rebuild,what about the dualmass,the clutch was original and looked very good,no heat cracks or discoloration on the dualmass at all.this truck hauled a 35 foot fith wheel camper all its life,the PO bought it new in 89 and he is our truck driver,he is good on the rig and he was good on his truck ;Sweet
thanks again for the info :hail :hail :hail :D
on edit,are the E4OD and ZF5 cross member the same,even between 89 and 92?

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
They should be. I found out last night that the junkyard sold me an E4OD crossmember instead of a ZF5 one. The ZF tranny mount will fit on the E4OD crossmember, and actually is the same part number from Kragen... Best I can tell, the only difference between the two crossmembers is how they mount to the frame. Note that that's with NOT seeing a ZF crossmember...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
my cab has the plate there,so does that mean the master and slave cylinder from the 89 wont work?
i kinda knew about the pedal assembly,95stroker(i think) had a set he wanted to sell,but i havent heard from him lately.
the steering colum is because of the auto shifter right?but whats the deal with the wiring harness? :confused:
will the pedals and colum and harness from 92+ halfton work as they are more of them avalible around here.
would you be afaid to use a ZF5 with 210,000 on it without a rebuild,what about the dualmass,the clutch was original and looked very good,no heat cracks or discoloration on the dualmass at all.this truck hauled a 35 foot fith wheel camper all its life,the PO bought it new in 89 and he is our truck driver,he is good on the rig and he was good on his truck ;Sweet
thanks again for the info :hail :hail :hail :D
--here's the thing. the clutch master has the mounting holes "clocked" differently. If you had to, I guess you can but do put some washers to help reinforce the firewall since you will be drilling more holes in an area where the sheetmetal is pretty weak from the factory.
--next....'95 choker is on his honneymoon getting his balls tied off...he'll be back in a couple of weeks after they drop off.
--the column can be changed out if you want the truck to look like a clean changeover. there's nothing keeping you from cutting off the shifter and leaving the rest as it is.
--changing out the harness is also the same thing. it just looks cleaner. what you may have to do if you do keep the auto harness in, is to make sure the MLPS is in "neutral" permenantly so you can start the truck.
--yes the pedal and column assy off a f150 OF THE SAME VINTAGE will work. Ford has always tried to milk the parts to all their sizes. keeps the confusion down.
--210k on the tranny is nothing as long as it has not been abused. drain the oil and see how much of a metalic sheen you can see in it. but from what you are telling about the flywheel having no hotspots with towing a trailer all its life, you may have hit a good one. and yes, scuff up the flywheel a little and throw a new clutch kit in. Get the Kevlar pilot bushing.
--tim(warden) and I had a conversation about his crossmemeber last nite, he was sold a auto crossmember as far as I can tell. best thing for you to do is since you have one on the donor truck already, use that one. and if you can take a picture of what you got, it will be able to answer alot of doubts.
good luck...have fun...and dont' be afraid to ask questions.. ;Sweet ;Sweet

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
thanks towcat and warden,it will be awhile before i do the swap,but i'm sure to have more questions,thanks guys
sorry its not 95 stroker its 94f450sd from the other site,i gets confused easy from time to time :D

Last edited: