Zf5 synchros

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MTL is a manual transmission synchromesh fluid made by Redline Oils, and pz is just an abbreviation for Penzoil, who also make a synchromesh tranny fuild

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty thin. I could find the exact weight but let me tel you in a worn tranny it's a dream come true. Of course it's not the "recommended" lube but it sure did the trick for me.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is slightly thicker. But not as thick as gear oil. I’m running Pz because my tranny has 300,000 miles on it and so the clearances are a little bigger due to wear. It it was a brand new tranny, I would run atf, but it’s far from new

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
V8BBGER where have you been since about 1988?
Go ahead and fill a ZF5 up with 90wt. At the best it won’t shift worth a damn. At worst the bearings will burn up. Technology moved on. I sounded like you when I got my first ZFs back in 1994.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I sounded like you when I got my first ZFs back in 1994.

I reckon the days of checking a owners manual/manufacturer specifications are bygones.
Hell, put milk in it for all I care.
The 08 f250 came with MTL a 75W-90 synthetic. They had a tsb for hard shifting. Guess what the recommended fluid to change to was?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Had a bad 2nd, 3rd and 4th syncro crunch/grind on a S5-42. Always ran synthetic ATF in them for a couple decades now.

Yesterday I dumped the ATF in this one and added 4 quarts of Amsoil Syncromesh manual transmission fluid. And I immediately improved the grind in 2,3,4. This one was borderline me pulling the pin and having it rebuilt, but im totally fine with it now. Its still not perfect of course, but way better

This will be my new "go to" for ZF5 (and maybe zf6) fluid from now on. Wish I would have known about it years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx