Zf5 synchros

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my zf5 has bad synchros in the first 4 gears. The previous owner didn't do the heim joint mod and ground the synchros to oblivion. I am thinking that all it needs is the synchros changed. How hard is this to accomplish? And is there a good place to get this done in Louisiana? I am just north on Baton Rouge.

I found a guy that has another 4x4 zf5 with a broken mounting ear but says the internals are good. How much would it be to just pull the guts and change housings.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try that first. I hope it's a miracle worker.

I run it in all my manual transmission vehicles/equipment. ATF is too thin IMO and with worn synchros the slightly thicker fluid could help get some more miles out of it.

Best bet is to fill through the shifter (much easier than pumping into the top plug on the case)

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Redline MTL has done the trick for me for years. Not to say the Penz doesn’t work just that for many of us MTL has worked if there was anything left of the synchros at all.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears that Walmart sells MTL for about $65/ gallon. The only other place I found it cheaper was eBay @ $58/gallon.

Also, this is slightly off topic, but I need to flush my zf5 as well and was wondering how any quarts of fluid to buy?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears that Walmart sells MTL for about $65/ gallon. The only other place I found it cheaper was eBay @ $58/gallon.

Also, this is slightly off topic, but I need to flush my zf5 as well and was wondering how any quarts of fluid to buy?

redline is about 2x expensive as PZ

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the pz synchromesh in the Tranny. 4qts through the shifter. Well it helped immensely! Still a little grind from 1-2 when I shift too fast but it did much better in all the other gears.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1-2 shift might get better as the PZ works it's way into the sychronizer cones

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online