zf5 swap issues/comments thus far

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Just to give an idea to others looking to do the swap as to what they might be able to expect. The 5 speed I have was out of a 2wd F superduty truck. All the other components I have to put it in were out of a 2wd F250 5sp std cab long bed.

#1 2wd crossmember wont work. that one I should've guessed. gonna pick one out of a 4wd truck in the city sunday.

#2 Aftermarket exhaust is in the way of the crossmember. Going to have to completely alter my exhaust to go over it, but I needed to replace a bend with a mandrel bend anyways.

#3 A new rear main seal wont go over a crank with a sleeve on it. Apparently there is a special one that has to be ordered to go over the sleeve. My sleeve was junk and I got a small scratch in the crank trying to get it out. Now I will need another sleeve and this special seal.

That's all so far. A couple cool things I have found.

#1 The entire rear driveshaft for a 2wd 5sp long bed std cab is the right length for a 4wd 5sp ext cab long bed. Got lucky with that, don't have to have a driveshaft made.

#2 The auto and manual steering columns themselves are identical. I had my tilt/cruise auto steering column and a no tilt/cruise manual. I swapped the components and used the top plastic cover off the manual and the bottom off mine (so I still have the hole for the tilt lever). I did sawzall the bracket for the shifter cable off of mine.

#3 I read the downpipe had to be moved to get to the top tranny bolts, with the banks downpipe there was nothing in the way.