zf5 swap issues/comments thus far

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Just to give an idea to others looking to do the swap as to what they might be able to expect. The 5 speed I have was out of a 2wd F superduty truck. All the other components I have to put it in were out of a 2wd F250 5sp std cab long bed.

#1 2wd crossmember wont work. that one I should've guessed. gonna pick one out of a 4wd truck in the city sunday.

#2 Aftermarket exhaust is in the way of the crossmember. Going to have to completely alter my exhaust to go over it, but I needed to replace a bend with a mandrel bend anyways.

#3 A new rear main seal wont go over a crank with a sleeve on it. Apparently there is a special one that has to be ordered to go over the sleeve. My sleeve was junk and I got a small scratch in the crank trying to get it out. Now I will need another sleeve and this special seal.

That's all so far. A couple cool things I have found.

#1 The entire rear driveshaft for a 2wd 5sp long bed std cab is the right length for a 4wd 5sp ext cab long bed. Got lucky with that, don't have to have a driveshaft made.

#2 The auto and manual steering columns themselves are identical. I had my tilt/cruise auto steering column and a no tilt/cruise manual. I swapped the components and used the top plastic cover off the manual and the bottom off mine (so I still have the hole for the tilt lever). I did sawzall the bracket for the shifter cable off of mine.

#3 I read the downpipe had to be moved to get to the top tranny bolts, with the banks downpipe there was nothing in the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online