Zf5 cross reference between IDI and psd.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever put an old three speed behind the transmission in a 2WD IDI as a brownie? If that would work, it would surely beat the GearVendors option for price, at least. The compound gearing would let you go with a rear end that was nearly 1:1, and even with a four speed, high-high could be a significant overdrive.

What three speed has an overdrive?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score

The A833 used in mopars and some 80's chevy trucks? Ford may have had a 3+OD trans too. Not sure I'd subject one to IDI torque multiplied by the first transmission....

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sorry, I completely misspoke. What I was trying to get across is that even with straight through gearing on both transmissions, a sufficiently shallow ratio on the rear end would make it like OD, and let you keep your RPMs down at high speeds. We could maybe use a 2.5:1 or so instead of a 4.10:1.

The A833 used in mopars and some 80's chevy trucks? Ford may have had a 3+OD trans too. Not sure I'd subject one to IDI torque multiplied by the first transmission....

That's the question, I suppose. Is there an old pickup truck transmission that could handle the torque?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't tie two regular transmissions together like that. The second regular transmission is not designed to handle the input torque that would be generated by the first transmission in it's lower gears.

That is why the input shaft is so much smaller than the output shafts on transmissions. When you put a transmission in 1st gear, you are taking the speed of the engine away and converting it to torque, and it can twist the small input of another transmission right off.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, I love this forum!!! I learn so much from it. It is like listening to all of my long lost brothers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online