Zf5 cross reference between IDI and psd.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any Ford transfer case will bolt to any Ford 4x4 transmission, automatic or manual. That is from the 70's all the way up to the Super duties. I am not sure about the later super duty transfer cases, but I do know the 6 speed stuff is different. You can get one of those cast iron 205 monsters and it will bolt up also. The only thing that is different are the shifters and linkages. It's best to get all that with the transfer case so you will know it is compatible. And you also need to decide if you want the driveshaft to slip in and out of the transfer case output, or if you want a fixed yoke and have the rear slip joint made outside in the driveshaft itself.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I feel the truck is an odball and that is fine though. Have not conteplated ever of putting a truck bed on it. But have thought about fabricating a custon utility bed for it. You're absolutely correct, the frame is very narrow along with the spring stacks. I noticed that trucks of late have much wider springs. That is the standard now I suppose.

By oddball I meant compared to regular pickups. Your frame setup is still made to this day on the cab and chassis pickups. It is a industry standard so any utility beds, dump beds, flat beds, etc made to that industry standard will fit those cab and chassis trucks.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any Ford transfer case will bolt to any Ford 4x4 transmission, automatic or manual. That is from the 70's all the way up to the Super duties. I am not sure about the later super duty transfer cases, but I do know the 6 speed stuff is different. You can get one of those cast iron 205 monsters and it will bolt up also. The only thing that is different are the shifters and linkages. It's best to get all that with the transfer case so you will know it is compatible. And you also need to decide if you want the driveshaft to slip in and out of the transfer case output, or if you want a fixed yoke and have the rear slip joint made outside in the driveshaft itself.
I will have to do some homework on finding out what would be the best way to go for my F350. Maybe I should measure to see distance between the slip in yoke, if I have one, on my existing zf to yoke on the diff.
And I agree that it would be simpler to get a tranny and transfer all in one than to piece a setup together. Especially since down here in Florida there isn't a lot of used parts floating around.
As for whether I should get a fixed yoke or slip in I don't know. I have a carrier bearing now in my drive train. Will definitely take a look in the daylight tomorrow.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By oddball I meant compared to regular pickups. Your frame setup is still made to this day on the cab and chassis pickups. It is a industry standard so any utility beds, dump beds, flat beds, etc made to that industry standard will fit those cab and chassis trucks.
I have also noticed that a pickup truck dually's axle seems much wider than a "cab and chassis" axle. Or maybe just looks wider given the fenders bow out.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a industry standard so any utility beds, dump beds, flat beds, etc made to that industry standard will fit those cab and chassis trucks.
Good to know it is an industry standard, have been looking at the idea of a custom utility body, like some of the ones you see on a pipeliner welders truck.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also noticed that a pickup truck dually's axle seems much wider than a "cab and chassis" axle. Or maybe just looks wider given the fenders bow out.

Dually pickup axle is 4 inches wider than a regular pickup axle. Not sure how much wider compared to a cab and chassis rearend. I think I am right in saying the cab and chassis width is in the middle somewhere between the single wheel axle and the dually rear axle width.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best $ on ship? uShip - a bidding net spot. (May B an offshoot of flee-bay). I am patient but cheep. I waited till the bidders got low enuff, tapped a few till one finally asked "How much do U wanna pay?" $150 1000 mi, then $150 1500 mi.(450# motors). I used sm carriers of LTTF (less than a truckfull). Guys like us who don't use a broker to find wrk...

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Earlier automatic Superduties (99-04ish) will have a 31 spline nv271F (fixed rear yoke). With a 2-piece driveshaft, fixed or slip yoke doesn't matter as much, IMO. I do like being able to unmount a driveshaft without losing the tcase fluid.

Good to know it is an industry standard, have been looking at the idea of a custom utility body, like some of the ones you see on a pipeliner welders truck.

That 34" 'standard' is a little misleading for class 3/4/5 cab & chassis. 38" is the other common width. Van based chassis (i.e. E350/450) are wider again. Take some measurements before you make a purchase.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best $ on ship? uShip - a bidding net spot. (May B an offshoot of flee-bay). I am patient but cheep. I waited till the bidders got low enuff, tapped a few till one finally asked "How much do U wanna pay?" $150 1000 mi, then $150 1500 mi.(450# motors). I used sm carriers of LTTF (less than a truckfull). Guys like us who don't use a broker to find wrk...
Thanks for that info. Learning everyday.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Earlier automatic Superduties (99-04ish) will have a 31 spline nv271F (fixed rear yoke). With a 2-piece driveshaft, fixed or slip yoke doesn't matter as much, IMO. I do like being able to unmount a driveshaft without losing the tcase fluid.

That 34" 'standard' is a little misleading for class 3/4/5 cab & chassis. 38" is the other common width. Van based chassis (i.e. E350/450) are wider again. Take some measurements before you make a purchase.
Definitely will take measurements. I was just thinking about that driving to wok today about making a blueprint of measurements of my drive train.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Definitely will take measurements. I was just thinking about that driving to wok today about making a blueprint of measurements of my drive train.

I meant measure the body/deck before you buy. It can be difficult to bolt one down built for a 38" frame onto your 34". I've had that problem with logger boxes in the past.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant measure the body/deck before you buy. It can be difficult to bolt one down built for a 38" frame onto your 34". I've had that problem with logger boxes in the past.
Ok. Just measured, I have a 34"
Would really like an od unit for this. Is GV the only option?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
IMO, re-gear taller (3.54?) and add the tcase. Whole Ford diffs and tcases can be had for under $200 a piece. Treat yourself with a good posi/locker and-or disc brakes at the same time.

Not a GV fan due to the cost, buy or repair. My neighbour got a used one somewhat cheap, but it's a $600USD 'kit' to make it work it a different vehicle. (from a GM motorhome going into a Dodge)

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, re-gear taller (3.54?) and add the tcase. Whole Ford diffs and tcases can be had for under $200 a piece. Treat yourself with a good posi/locker and-or disc brakes at the same time.

Not a GV fan due to the cost, buy or repair. My neighbour got a used one somewhat cheap, but it's a $600USD 'kit' to make it work it a different vehicle. (from a GM motorhome going into a Dodge)
Yeah!!!! I have a 4.10 now. Kind of like that pulling power but never drove a 3.54. Would definitely want a posi/locker but have to price everything out. Disk brakes? Heck yeah! Would love disk brakes!
I guess I could pull a trailer with 2 pieces of equipment with a 3.54.
This truck was a gift from heaven so if I spend 5k more I don't care. Have 4500 in it now. Even at 10 or 12k, can't buy a good pull truck for even close to that once everything is fixed up. Yeah GV, too much.... way too much. I have to keep an eye out for a 5 speed trans/tcase. 200 is sweet!

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever put an old three speed behind the transmission in a 2WD IDI as a brownie? If that would work, it would surely beat the GearVendors option for price, at least. The compound gearing would let you go with a rear end that was nearly 1:1, and even with a four speed, high-high could be a significant overdrive.