ZDDP in stp

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was at walmart today looking at some lucus oil treatment, I happened to look at the stp and on the bottle it said it had ZDDP anti-wear agents in it. Is this the same as zinc in the oil?:dunno I thought it might be , so a bought a couple of bottles ( $2.77 a piece ) to try with my oil change, I went ahead and got the 15-40 motorcraft oil and a powerstroke filter, if anyone has any thoughts on this ,I'll be glad to here them. If this stuff has the zinc in it , I will use it all the time, it's alot cheaper than the zinc additive i use in my 66 olds;Sweet

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel rated motor oils never had the stuff taken out of it ,that STP is going to replace what is gone from gas engine oils. The motorcraft 15w-40 you bought is fine without that additve.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just run the diesel oil in your truck and your Olds.
Which is exactly what a tech rep from Melling told me when I called them up to investigate a real bad case of premature wear in the distributor gear of in my old 350 SBC after a new cam install.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you guys said about the diesel oil WAS true until the advent of APC-CJ4.

The new CJ-4 oils are 2,000-mile change interval; whereas the good old CI-4 stuff could go 10,000.

I am adamant about DEMANDING CI-4 oil and REFUSE to use the new CJ-4 :puke: crap.

You won't find CI-4 at the discount stores and chain-gangs; but, industrial and agricultural distributors keep it for the same reasons that we should use it = it still has the anti-wear goodies that the CJ-4 lacks.

That being said, I have been also adding STP to my oil changes at a 12-ounce/STP per 116-ounce/oil for as long as I can remember.

I am no scientist, so I can't vouch for it's benefit, yea or nay; I will keep using it so long as it makes me feel better. LOL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Our engines really don't require the extra zinc. With the roller hydraulic cams in these things, they don't have any parts that have solid constant friction contact that can pound dry. The engines that have problems with that are flat tappet cam engines specificially solid lifter engines being the worst.

All new engines emissions systems require oil with teh reduced zinc or it;ll trash the emission system, but there still are some diesel oils that have not changed. I run the Amsoil 15w4o diesel and marine and that is one that they didn't change for the new specs so it still has the higher zinc in it for engines that requre it, but ours isn't one of them. The lubrication system on our engines is really quite good.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you guys said about the diesel oil WAS true until the advent of APC-CJ4.

The new CJ-4 oils are 2,000-mile change interval; whereas the good old CI-4 stuff could go 10,000.

I am adamant about DEMANDING CI-4 oil and REFUSE to use the new CJ-4 :puke: crap.

You won't find CI-4 at the discount stores and chain-gangs; but, industrial and agricultural distributors keep it for the same reasons that we should use it = it still has the anti-wear goodies that the CJ-4 lacks.

That being said, I have been also adding STP to my oil changes at a 12-ounce/STP per 116-ounce/oil for as long as I can remember.

I am no scientist, so I can't vouch for it's benefit, yea or nay; I will keep using it so long as it makes me feel better. LOL

X2. If your engine sits for any period of time, the Zinc is essential for guarding against cold start wear until the oil presure comes up. I won't run CJ oil either so long as CI is available.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our engines really don't require the extra zinc. With the roller hydraulic cams in these things, they don't have any parts that have solid constant friction contact that can pound dry. The engines that have problems with that are flat tappet cam engines specificially solid lifter engines being the worst.

With all due respects >NOT TRUE!
Just like roller cam gassers, Diesels need ZDDP too for >pushrod tips/roller rocker cups, wrist pins, gear drives like what drives our IP. All those parts and I'm sure more I left out benefit from ZDDP > not just "flat tappet" engines.

Edit > I've used STP for decades in my Corvette...however, decades back when I contacted STP about using their product in my Diesel, they said not to :dunno
Not sure if it's a different story now;Really

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
With all due respects >NOT TRUE!
Just like roller cam gassers, Diesels need ZDDP too for >pushrod tips/roller rocker cups, wrist pins, gear drives like what drives our IP. All those parts and I'm sure more I left out benefit from ZDDP > not just "flat tappet" engines.

Edit > I've used STP for decades in my Corvette...however, decades back when I contacted STP about using their product in my Diesel, they said not to :dunno
Not sure if it's a different story now;Really

But those are all points that are pressure lubricated on these engines and the splash lubrication combined with rollers on the cam is not a wear item.By the time the engine turns over oil has climbed the gears, there just isn't that much load at starter speed and not all teh oil is going to drain off from the day beforethere will always remain some residue.
On a flat tappet engine the lifer bottoms are not pressssure lubed and since they arent rolling they can hammer out dry on the bottom and on solid lifters they are generally dry on top with a pressure and then splash to the rockers and pushrods on down

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you getting the 2000 mile drain interval from? There are plenty of people over on BITOG that are getting 15k or longer drain intervals on the stuff using oil analysis:dunno

The cj-4 isnt quite as good but it is being proven to be plenty fine for most people who keep their change intervals under 7500 miles. Its the TBN content that went down, they did reduce the zinc content somewhat but not really enough to cause any concern.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the STP website, all it said was it was for cars and light trucks, I have never heard it can't be used in IdI's, A trucker at the elevator i used to work at used it for his trailer wheel bearings, with the clear plastic cover over them, thats all he put in there, said it worked better than anything else:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online