ZDDP in stp

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The gas oils are the ones that took the hit the hardest.

Diesel oil still has at least 1200 ppm of zinc witch is what is needed for flat tappets but our engines are not affected by this.

The ZDDP number have been reduced but other things have been added to make up for it. Some of witch will not show up on oil analysis.

The CJ-4 oils also have a greater soot retention abilitys because of the new engines using EGR systems.

TBN retention seems good to from what Ive been seeing.

If your not convinced have some oil samples sent in of new and used oil and go take a look at Bob Is The Oil Guy forums.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the STP website, all it said was it was for cars and light trucks, I have never heard it can't be used in IdI's, A trucker at the elevator i used to work at used it for his trailer wheel bearings, with the clear plastic cover over them, thats all he put in there, said it worked better than anything else:dunno

Filling oil-bath hubs with STP has been quite common for about as long as oil-bath hubs have existed.

It is an excellent lube for belt-driven vacuum-pumps and the like.

I have witnessed many a can being poured into a leaky power-steering system, with no obvious harm and much less leak. ( it used to come in cans ) :)

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filling oil-bath hubs with STP has been quite common for about as long as oil-bath hubs have existed.

It is an excellent lube for belt-driven vacuum-pumps and the like.

I have witnessed many a can being poured into a leaky power-steering system, with no obvious harm and much less leak. ( it used to come in cans ) :)

Thanks for the info,I just thought with all this talk about zinc in the oil,STP with zinc in it might be a topic:dunno its alot cheaper than some of the other zinc additives;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info,I just thought with all this talk about zinc in the oil,STP with zinc in it might be a topic:dunno its alot cheaper than some of the other zinc additives;Sweet

I don't know if this is the true meaning of "STP"; but, way back when I was a wee bairn, I always heard that it meant " Stop That Peck " :)

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted STP few weeks back, below is their reply...

Thank you for contacting us about STP Oil Treatment. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

The STP 4 Cylinder Oil Treatment is still being made. It is up to the stores what they carry and why they don't carry the product I don't know. There was only a slight difference in the amount of ZDDP between the red and blue bottle and it was due to the viscosity. If you add one 15 ounce bottle of the regular STP Oil Treatment to 4 to 5 quarts of oil it will provide the same protection the older motor oils once provided. We have many classic car owners especially those with flat tappet cam motors who use our product for this reason. The amount of ZDDP in our product is proprietary. If you use the blue bottle in a 4 cylinder motor, you would only use half of the bottle added to a warm motor. I hope this information helps you.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted STP few weeks back, below is their reply...

Thank you for contacting us about STP Oil Treatment. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

The STP 4 Cylinder Oil Treatment is still being made.

:dunno Now I am confused. :dunno

That reads like maybe the BLUE 15-ounce bottles may no longer be available. :dunno

Why would we be interested in the 4-cylinder version, when it takes THREE of the BLUE 8-cylinder bottles for an oil-change; that would be six of the RED bottles ?? :dunno

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno Now I am confused. :dunno

That reads like maybe the BLUE 15-ounce bottles may no longer be available. :dunno

Why would we be interested in the 4-cylinder version, when it takes THREE of the BLUE 8-cylinder bottles for an oil-change; that would be six of the RED bottles ?? :dunno
Allow me to clarify...this time, when I contacted STP is was not regarding use for my Diesel. I was looking for info about the "Red" bottle product no longer being manufactured >this is what a local distributor told me first hand.
The "Red" bottle had/has a bit more ZDDP vs the blue bottle. I used the "Red" product in my BBC Jet Boat.
I've used STP (blue) in my Corvette for decades, and will continue to use it with the newer API-SM (lower ZDDP) rated oils now on the market.
The Red bottle is a thinner viscosity for 4-cylinder engines >but has a little higher ZDDP in it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allow me to clarify...this time, when I contacted STP is was not regarding use for my Diesel. I was looking for info about the "Red" bottle product no longer being manufactured >this is what a local distributor told me first hand.
The "Red" bottle had/has a bit more ZDDP vs the blue bottle. I used the "Red" product in my BBC Jet Boat.
I've used STP (blue) in my Corvette for decades, and will continue to use it with the newer API-SM (lower ZDDP) rated oils now on the market.
The Red bottle is a thinner viscosity for 4-cylinder engines >but has a little higher ZDDP in it.

Thank you for clarifying that.

Like I already said, I have been using STP in everything, GAS or DIESEL, almost ever since I was old enough to drive = a long long LONG time. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online