Your educated opinions please

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick back story...
I pulled the motor in preparation for the typ 4 cam, head studs and gaskets, 910 valve springs, Bull Moose and take care of some annoying oil leaks.
The motor itself is in great condition, didn't burn any oil, still see the cross hatches in the cylinder bores but, this is what I found when I pulled the heads........

You must be registered for see images attach

I was told the motor had between 40-50000 miles on it which I believe by the condition of everything.
Are the dents a concern ? Every piston has them.

I'm thinking crap glow plugs were used previously which caused the dents.

These are the glow plugs I pulled out today, 15 year old Wellmans !

How do you install a new front crank seal without the special tool ?

Thanks

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no special tool for the front seal, simply install balancer.

those marks sure look like a glow plug, but our glowplugs are in the pre chamber, not quite sure how they ended up touching the slug.

i ended up replacing my pistons, and having them ceramic coated.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bits of glow plug tip breaking off, tossing around in the chamber several times before being pulverized or sent out the exhaust valve, maybe? :dunno

Wonder what the domes in the cylinder heads look like, if they have similar divots.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bits of glow plug tip breaking off, tossing around in the chamber several times before being pulverized or sent out the exhaust valve, maybe? :dunno

Wonder what the domes in the cylinder heads look like, if they have similar divots.

No marks in the cylinder heads, could be the difference in material, aluminum and cast iron.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
The compression side of a piston lives a miserable life anyway. No cracks, I'd personally run them without thinking twice. just my .02

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We do not have a piston dome in the heads. Our heads are flat. The ONLY REASON the pistons don't hit the heads is the head gasket make the gap needed. Otherwise with our pistons coming out of the block as much as 30 thou they sure would hit. I noticed this engine has been bored 20 over but that's not an issue. Run these pistons and do not worry a bit. At that area of the piston the thickness is about 560 to 580 thousands thick. So see.. No problem. The glow plugs that may have broken off could have been autolite or champion of most anything really. Just make sure you run only the Motorcraft Beru glow plugs. The type for your glow plug system is the spade connector ZD!. The bullet connector with the ZD9 is what most will run on the solid state system.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, 20 over pistons.
Thanks all, you confirmed my feelings to just run with it.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Mine has eaten a glow plug too on 1 or 2 cylinders in a previous owners time. I slapped it back together and it is fine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at it this way... they have proved they will take a licking and keep on ticking.

There is in fact a special tool to install the seal. You can possibly rent it from one of the autoparts stores.