My options, and your opinions.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of, how hard is it to actually resleeve one of these engines?
The shop that sleeved all 8 holes for my red truck only charged $400. He says he doesn't want to do it again, because it was a 2 full day ordeal. I'm going to have to explain to him that he needs to charge me enough to make it worth while.

R Squared

Reaction score
Hey, man! I didn't notice this since I came back from my hiatas. But yeah, it would be cool to put a face with a few of y'all.
Well you've already seen me about a month ago towing my Gramps "old" 86 F150 back to my dad's over in Defuniak.

I am in Crestview, back behind the hospital (they love my vehicle collection :rotflmao), as well and it would be cool to get together with some of yall that're local and talk tech, etc about these old trucks.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread I'm realizing that many of you characters have a respectable sized collection of engines and vehicles. With that said, I have a question and I'm looking for advice/ opinions.
To start with, I was recently searching for the brackets to mount the ac compressor in my 1986 F350. I found some in a salvage yard two hours south of me and was glad to find them despite the gouging I took. They were still mounted on the (allegedly) 6.9 idi engine although the valve cover had a sticker that said 7.3 on it. I called today and was told that they had tried to turn the engine over with a socket and breaker bar, but it wouldn't budge. Is it worth it to purchase one of these engines in such a condition? Are they rare enough that I should save it from the crusher in the hopes that something internal didn't detonate and that possibly the heads are still good?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Nah, there's still plenty of them out there, I'd find one that bars over if you're looking to keep a spare engine.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, I'm a newb and still trying to get a grip on working this site.
So that's along the lines of what I was thinking, I want a decent engine that I can build for a spare but not something that's going to require owning my own machine shop. I have plenty of projects as it is. Thanks.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
(allegedly) 6.9 idi engine although the valve cover had a sticker that said 7.3 on it.
The sticker doesn't really mean much. The valve covers are interchangeable so it may have been switched.
Are they rare enough that I should save it from the crusher in the hopes that something internal didn't detonate and that possibly the heads are still good?
If you have the money and can get it cheap enough, it may be worth it, but that's totally up to you.
They might be out there, but they ain't making any more of them.
This is a good point.
Oops, I'm a newb and still trying to get a grip on working this site.
That's ok. We're generally pretty patient and understanding. In case nobody said it yet, welcome.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one rule when buying used engines: Buy it as a core and automatically assume it will require a full rebuild, and pay accordingly.

It doesn't matter if it is stuck, bars over, or running. I have bought "running" engines that had as much or more internal damage and required more machine work than a stuck engine.

That said, I too have a spare 7.3 IDI stored in the corner of the shop. Supposedly it spun a bearing, but it doesn't really matter. When the time comes, I will build it and fix what I need to, but it makes me feel good having a spare around. It keeps the flathead, 351W, 430 MEL, IH 266 v8, and a DT-466 company.

Last edited:

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the replies, plenty of really good points. I guess the thing that really set me off was when I was quoted a price for the engine he then added 200 for a core charge. I never had a junk yard give a core charge for anything I purchased before and it rubbed me the wrong way. It's probably still a reasonable price but I didn't like the tactics.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the salvage yards in my area started requiring a core about 10 years ago for engines and transmissions.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one rule when buying used engines: Buy it as a core and automatically assume it will require a full rebuild, and pay accordingly.

It doesn't matter if it is stuck, bars over, or running. I have bought "running" engines that had as much or more internal damage and required more machine work than a stuck engine.

That said, I too have a spare 7.3 IDI stored in the corner of the shop. Supposedly it spun a bearing, but it doesn't really matter. When the time comes, I will build it and fix what I need to, but it makes me feel good having a spare around. It keeps the flathead, 351W, 430 MEL, IH 266 v8, and a DT-466 company.
.....I'm with you fellers.....

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Supposedly it spun a bearing, but it doesn't really matter.
While it's certainly not impossible for these engine to spin a bearing, it is pretty unusual. My guess would be that it's an injector knock and someone didn't know what they were talking about. I had to change out a Chevy 6.5 one time because it "spun a bearing". I told the shop manager/engine builder that it was an injector, but he insisted that it wasn't. After I got the engine pulled out, he started tearing it apart while I was putting the new one in. It turned out that I was right, but I certainly didn't get an apology from anyone. -cuss
I never had a junk yard give a core charge for anything I purchased before and it rubbed me the wrong way.
I would feel the exact same way.
Some of the salvage yards in my area started requiring a core about 10 years ago for engines and transmissions.

James
I really don't go to salvage yards so I can't say. The closest one to me is high priced. There's a good one, but it's about 2 hours away.
.....I'm with you fellers.....
Me too.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+3 on the core charge. I think I'd walk out, or at the least complain about it. They'll likely be getting the old one back regardless, but it's the principle behind it. I'm not buying something that's been rebuilt that you want back to rebuild again, I'm buying junk. That's is just a chicken $hit way to make a few more bucks.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
They don't rebuild them, it's for the cost of weight of scrap metal. At least that's what the pick n pull's do over here.