You guys are gonna kill me...BUT,

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am picking up an 84 F250 with a 460/C6. It runs and drives, but I think Im going to swap in my 87 6.9/c6 from my F350 donor truck...
just a couple questions, The fuel tanks on the 84, can I use them? The 87 f350 is a cab n chassis with a rear poly tank..not sure if it will work or not...NO sending unit is in it.
Fuel lines...do I need to replace them?
Radiator?
I plan on running the glow plug system on a push button, so I wont need to change any of the wiring harness on the truck...right?
I just want to get this right, so I can go get the title changed to DIESEL...legitimately.
Thanks
BTW I searched 20 pages and didnt find the right answers.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80-86 fuel system is different from 87-91. unless you can prove me differently from ford OEM.
the ohm ranges as well as sender hole dia is different.
you can run gasser fuel system components on a diesel.
radiator supports are completely different between gas and diesel.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pristine core support from a bricknose, but if Im not mistaken, it wont work on the bullnose. I have a radiator from the 87, but like I said I think I need a core support.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isnt the 460 radiator the same or VERY close? I havent looked up part numbers yet. I guess that would answer my question.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cab and chassis rear tank is much more narrow than the one for the pickups due to the closer frame spacing.You might be able to use a C&C rear tank in a pickup,I'm not sure but it won't be a direct bolt in deal.Custome straps etc. if it can be made to work.You can't fit a pickup tank in the C&C for sure but if I'm reading right,that's not the way your going anyway.

You could probably get away with using the 460 radiator for just driving around.Just don't try and tow.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
460 radiator is much much smaller than diesel rad. I wouldn't even try to run it here in my climate

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
460 radiator is much much smaller than diesel rad. I wouldn't even try to run it here in my climate

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, i went and looked at the truck...total POS....not gonna happen. I hate it when people tell you its solid, runs great, all original

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well solid may mean that you can only use one foot to Flintstone it with since the hole in the floor isn't big enough for both feet. Maybe runs great means that it still gets better oil mileage than gas mileage. Maybe all original means that all of the parts are from a Ford, never mind the year and model! Some people just have different ideas. For what it's worth, when I converted my 1986 Bronco to a diesel, I reused the fuel tank, sender, and fuel lines up to the point where the diesel fuel line crosses across to the passenger's side. Yes I did change out the core support and use the right radiator.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck was just rough...It was a non AC cab, was painted teal over the original brown. The body had some cancer on the rear wheel wells on the passenger side. I didnt see any on the floors when I looked under it. Kind of disappointing really. Now he is talking about scrapping it. Pick a part will give him $210 if they come get it because its missing the battery or $260 if he brings it. I may offer him $250 for the way it sits. I could use it as a WORK truck and nothing more.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
pre 84 truck the fuel system wont work. they are carbed with lift pump on the engine. no return line. 85 has an intank pump with a requlator on the engine and a return line before the carb. 86 some of them started fuel injection.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My Bronco was carbed. I used the feed line to the lift pump. For the return, I brazed a 5/16" brass nipple onto my filler neck and ran a rubber fuel line from the return on the engine back to the nipple, so the fuel system can be used.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck was just rough...It was a non AC cab, was painted teal over the original brown. The body had some cancer on the rear wheel wells on the passenger side. I didnt see any on the floors when I looked under it. Kind of disappointing really. Now he is talking about scrapping it. Pick a part will give him $210 if they come get it because its missing the battery or $260 if he brings it. I may offer him $250 for the way it sits. I could use it as a WORK truck and nothing more.

From the sounds of it you need to buy it for $250 and I'll bring it up north where I can sell it for $2500 and split the profit lol! If it's got good floors and just some rusty fenders that's pretty darn solid for NY lol!