Wrapping turbo exhaust housing?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have an 088 ATS turbo kit Im prepping to install into my low mile truck, but I want to keep the engine compartment looking nice and no melting or burning stuff so Im thinking about wrapping the turbo exhaust housing in that wrap that you see on allot of pro drag car's headers. Is this okay stuff to use on a turbo exhaust housing? I'd use a turbo blanket like they sell in all the performance mags but I cant get one that I think would be big enough to fit around the dual molded pipe exhaust housing of the 088 turbo kit.
Let me know what you guys think.
I would be wrapping it with probably two rolls of the wide stuff.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 088 ATS turbo kit Im prepping to install into my low mile truck, but I want to keep the engine compartment looking nice and no melting or burning stuff so Im thinking about wrapping the turbo exhaust housing in that wrap that you see on allot of pro drag car's headers. Is this okay stuff to use on a turbo exhaust housing? I'd use a turbo blanket like they sell in all the performance mags but I cant get one that I think would be big enough to fit around the dual molded pipe exhaust housing of the 088 turbo kit.
Let me know what you guys think.
I would be wrapping it with probably two rolls of the wide stuff.
I looked into doing the same thing to mine but was cautioned against it because it traps moisture agains the pipes and accelerates rust. Of course I'm in the great NorthWET (no typo) so YMMV depending on your local climate.

I know of one fella on another site who wrapped his then sealed it with 3 or 4 coats of that ceramic header paint to prevent it from absorbing water....

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Im going to do just the housing and thats all, not the whole exhaust, so maybe I can get away with it. I wonder how much it would cost me to have the housing 1800* powder coated so it wouldnt rust.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Powder coating would cost a pretty penny.
I've done the wrap bit on my ats. I used the narrow header wrap and the ceramic black spray coating, coated the metal first with a few coats, wrapped the housing, then coated the wrap. Have about 5000 miles on it, looks great.

the wires and hoses under the heat shield how no signs of any heat exposure.

I have the engine out at the moment, I may coat and wrap the downpipe when it goes back in.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see some pics of how that turned out. I've debated wrapping mine as well. It would be neat if somebody could say for certain how much boost they picked up by doing it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The problem with that turbo blanket is more than likely its too small to fit over the 088 turbo's exhaust housing.

I would like to see a picture of your turbo wrapped in and coated in that ceramic aerosol. I dont know where you can buy a ceramic aerosol.
I may be able to get it powder coated cheap, Im not sure yet. I use this company to plate some of my parts I make.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wrapped my crossover, UP pipe and turbo housing with a thick 2" wrap and stainless ties. Check Ebay for good deals. Mine looks good and I could also reuse the factory heat shields. Was good for a few more PSI too.

I have been checking the crossover after I drive in the rain, and so far its allways dry. I think that as long as you run it long enough to dry out, it wont rust.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'd like to see some pics of how that turned out. I've debated wrapping mine as well. It would be neat if somebody could say for certain how much boost they picked up by doing it.

It looks like I made a little mistake, it's not a spray ceramic, it's a high temp silicone coating ( hey, I slept since I put it on :D
Anyway, the stuff still works great, I have a few pics here , it looked a lot better when I yanked the engine, it's been shuffled around the shop for a few weeks and I''ve managed to knock some of the coating off of it, but it was all still there when it came off the truck. You'll notice I didn't completely wrap the housing , that was because I wanted to wrap it without having to use any fasteners, I just wanted to be able to do it by securing the tail end of the wrap and going from there, also to get a full wrap on the exposed part would have meant a real thick spot on the bottom leaving no air gap for the heat shield ( bad ) I figured if I wanted to get fancy later, I could stitch up a cap for it.
I purchased the wrap and coating at Advance, the stuff is available there and at Summit Racing and other places.

Attachments

• turbo1.jpg
    turbo1.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 22
  • turbo2.jpg
    turbo2.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 17
  • turbo3.jpg
    turbo3.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 14

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have decided to have my housing ceramic coated. I figure I'll get just as much if not more heat resistance out of this ceramic coating than I would the wrap. I'm going to pay for it a little bit but in my case its worth it since I only have $390 into my whole kit including my new CHRA.