Wrapped pipes, rust?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with wrapped exhaust pipes rusting out or life vs unwrapped? I wrapped the pipes for the new turbo I'll be installing soon for two reasons... Hopefully to maximize performance. Also to reduce heat in the cab, as my current turbo the pipes are not wrapped and a significant amount of heat is radiated through the firewall and floor. I don't mind in the winter, but in the summer it gets old fast.

Anyhow, curious on how much wrap affects the life of exhaust pipes. I did do a few coats of VHT paint before wrapping, hopefully that helps some. I figure they'll rust out sooner than unwrapped, but I should probably consider them wear items like exhaust manifolds and risers in a boat.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've recently done the same as you have dunk and I also fitted a turbo blanket. It seems to be doing a good job of keeping the heat down. I guess I'm curious too. I didn't think it would make much difference on mine as it doesn't go off road and it won't see any salt.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same as you. as well. I did vht paint and then wrapped. I used dei titanium heat wrap. it is super awesome stuff and even when wet it dries out fast. you can hold your exhaust when running. I still need to wrap my down pipe to keep heat out of the cab but as is I do not get much heat into the cab. I am not worried about my stuff rusting out any time soon. I also do not drive my truck in winter much because I don't have any rust and want to keep it that way. Heck I can take pictures of what the factory paint on the bottom side of the cab and bed looks like.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you were using old rusty pipe to begin with, I would say hell no.
but it will take a very long time for them to rust out.
but then again, oxidation can get aggressive.

ive wrapped headers on boats that see LOTS of moisture.
and it takes about 3-5 years until its time to buy another home made header kit and do it again.

now a days I wont do any header or exhaust work without using stainless steel :D

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ bingo. the $ premium for stainless is WELL worth it when doing exhaust work, especially on stuff that is a pain to get to afterwards...downpipe back, not too much a big deal...
That beign said..I didnt do stainless on my truck :p
But my fox will be getting a full stainless built system

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No header manufacturer will honor their warranty if you wrap the headers. What does that tell you? The main reason is heat. Like a old wood stove or fire grate, over time the heat disintegrates the metal

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that wrapping the pipes will cause moisture to build up, and remain, due to the wrapping of the pipes. Rust is the result.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online