Wow, go bypass filter!

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well i got my oil report back from blackstone from my oil with using my new dual bypass setup. I ran the oil 4700 miles as compared with my usual 3000 miles and the readings are awesome. My iron is down and basically everything else is too. The universal averages are for 3700 miles and the iron for them is 60 mine is 18. I had them test for active stuff in my oil still and they say i should be able to get at least another 3000 miles. So pretty much i guess with Rotella T you should be able to get about 9,000-10,000 miles out of your oil. Espcially with adding makeup oil. I want to see how long a filter will last too, the new amsoil filters i got say they are both good for 25,000 miles...

But anyways, i'm happy :)

Here is a Screen shot of my report.

www.samantha.cc/images/oilreport3.jpg

Last edited:

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I've got one on my "Wish List". Someday I'll get one. Might hafta wait til after the "wastegate up-grade" for my turbo. Then if she stays together, filter it. ;Sweet OkieGringo

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
My '97 PSD has had an OilGuard bypass filter for four years. I change its filter every other oil change. My Blackstone UOAs are great. IMO, a great addition to any diesel engine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's a "dual" bypass setup? You running two bypass filters in parrallel or series? Who's kit? The Moose Truck gets it's oil changed once a year. LOL

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a dual bypass is that, two filters in series. I've been using the old Frantz type of system that receives only a partial pressure from the oil system. It uses a roll of hotel-grade toilet paper as the filter medium to remove the water and acids from the oil.

About every 2k, I change the TP and top the system. Then I do a complete oil change every 8k.

Another really good bypass system is the Gulf Coast Filter, it uses a roll of Bounty 2 ply paper towels. They're used on marine diesels quite a bit that can't be shut down for oil changes.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how often do you check into the hotel? LOL

I have an FS-2500 on the Moose Truck, and it works great too.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
What's a "dual" bypass setup? You running two bypass filters in parrallel or series? Who's kit? The Moose Truck gets it's oil changed once a year. LOL

It's the AMSOIL dual bypass system. Basically all of their dual bypasses are the same except you get a different head thing to screw onto your oil cooler depending on your engine.

http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/sledzinski/forddiesel/index.aspx
and here is the amsoil site.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

Here are some pics i just found, the model of the one i have is BMK-16 i think, but as a said, the only difference is the part that screws onto the oil cooler.

The filter assembly has one full flow filter and one by-pass filter. Most of the oil gets put through the full flow all the time and a small portion is sent to the bypass, i think they said after 10 minutes all the oil has gone through the bypass filter.

I've heard rumors about how it'll screw up your oil pressure or something, but from what i can tell, this hasn't happend to me. And the results from blackstone look great, so whatever..

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I've seen that set up. That would be different though from what he said. He said both filters are in series, where as the Amsoil are in parrallel.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who sells TP and other stuff like that to businesses and hotels so I get a pack of rolls from him.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a little thicker meaning it's not your baby butt soft paper.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that can be a little rough on the nether-regions

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the paper he is talking about is called the john wayne toilet paper. its rough, rugged, and wont take no **** off of anybody. lol