With these crazy gas prices, I think its time to start filtering some WMO/WVO...

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been pondering this idea for a while.. I'm in between jobs, and I need a way to cut my fuel costs big time.
I have a bunch of spare oil and access to lots more if needed.

I'm thinking of setting up my rig here, and I know a buncha folks do the same thing with some pretty complex rigs.
I was thinking of using something like a 30 or 40 gallon drum to store the wmo in, and finding a 20 micron 10 micron, 2 micron, then 1 micron house water filter to filter through, then just storing the filtered oil in some 5 gallon gas containers or something.. :dunno

Im trying to do this on a budget and I dont have much space to store a giant pumping rig, so I was hoping some guuys on here could lead me in the right direction as to how to get the most effective filtering setup without going completely crazy money wise.

Thanks OB's!

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I welded a bung on the inlet and outlet sides of a gasser oil pump and ran it through a filter head with a 2 micron (may have been a 5). Pump it from a 5 galon jug that has been dumped through a strainer to get out the large chunks, right into the tank. it leaves a little carbon build up in the precup if you run it 100% over time. Not sure what it takes to get rid of it, but I think some water injection at 2k or so may clean it out as long as it gets shut of right.

SWS

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don't think I'd use this was a fuel substitute, but most definitely an additive.. i was thinking 50/50 or 60/40. Ive read alot about it on this site and it seems everyone says filtration is key, and that it should be filtered down to 1 micron to prevent any gunking or coking on the injectors.
I wouldnt be opposed to finding a big plastic drum from homedepot or craigslist, putting a 20 mic strainer on top, then filtering it through a 10 or 5 mic then to a 2 or 1 mic then to a 'clean' drum where I could transfer it to some gas cans

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dont want to start a new post, but can you straight mix WVO (after being filtered) with diesel? Summer time here is 90-100* everyday, with lows in the high 70's-80's, so it shouldnt get thick. The resturaunt I work for goes through about 10-15 gallons of oil a week. I wonder if I can just throw it in a tank of diesel to dilute the diesel down with it (and bring costs down). Would that work?

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filter down to 1 micron using a house water filter set-up from TSC. cheap and works. When I started to do this I just used a metal 55 gallon drum welded or drill and tap a fitting in the side on the bottom of the drum and I put a air fitting in the top of the drum and pressurized the drum to about 10psi to push the oil through my filters. I used a double oil filter set-up from summit for the first filter and then through the water filter for final filtering. This was my cheap first set-up till I seen it was the way to go for fuel cost. Then when you find your way thats easier for you, with your money savings, upgrade your filter set-up till its not a hassle and user friendly.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should come up and see the pump biofarmer built for me. Works great anheats re oil before the filters.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely Billy, I'd love to check it out.. Im trying to get some ideas on how big it needs to be and on what scale would be best for me.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Gas Prices" lets get with the right fuel Jam Sandwich ;Really
Too funny > I wish diesel was the price of regular grade gas vs being some .50 cents higher than premium grade gas.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
"Gas Prices" lets get with the right fuel Jam Sandwich ;Really
Too funny > I wish diesel was the price of regular grade gas vs being some .50 cents higher than premium grade gas.

and it's not even heating oil season, everyone should be running their house tanks out for the season, how in the heck are they justifying this noise :backoff

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont want to start a new post, but can you straight mix WVO (after being filtered) with diesel? Summer time here is 90-100* everyday, with lows in the high 70's-80's, so it shouldnt get thick. The resturaunt I work for goes through about 10-15 gallons of oil a week. I wonder if I can just throw it in a tank of diesel to dilute the diesel down with it (and bring costs down). Would that work?

yes. Filter and burn.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill try to get some pics. It works great but I need to pull the pump apart again to seal it with rtv. It doesn't leak while its pumping but does when it sits for a couple of days.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
For a pump I use an Isuzu Rodeo/Amigo power steering pump. It is sealed, has no reservoir, has only in and out, and already has a v-belt pully.

I spin it with a 12 volt starter/generator from a lawn tractor because it also already has a nice small v-belt pully and lots of torque. It pumps pretty well.

Never, ever mix wvo and wmo. It creats a sludge that will have you hating life. :eek:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the idea that the WMO will get you by if money becomes an issue for a good while at least if you're filtering it well. I know at least with the WVO the consensus seems to be that you need to heat the oil before it hits the fuel injection system. If you have access to large amounts of WVO, it might make sense to make biodiesel instead, the only drawback is that you do have some time and chemicals into it, and unless you recover the methanol that glycerin byproduct is regulated as hazardous waste. Anyway I make bio and do recover methanol, so my fuel costs are much higher than "free" but also far lower than the $3.50-$3.79 I've seen at the pump lately.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Damn Billy, get them pics up!

Dave, how well does that Isuzu PS pump work in terms of flow? What kind of filtering setup are you running?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online