With these crazy gas prices, I think its time to start filtering some WMO/WVO...

fordtuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and it's not even heating oil season, everyone should be running their house tanks out for the season, how in the heck are they justifying this noise :backoff

A market speculator was visiting the zoo when a camel that was born in the middle east cut one,, the trader noticed it smelled the same as the zebra pen did and came to the conclusion that oil and gas are going to be in short supply so they must raise prices...:eek:

Or thats the best scenario that i can figure on how that bunch on wall street works...

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was burning it filtered straight in my tank last summer when it was warm enough out or mixing with diesel. It worked pretty good but I have a tank I am getting ready to hook up and going to add some heat to it this time. I have a little over 200 gallons of some pretty nice oil. My source dried up or else I would have double that by now.

Once I get my tank hooked up I think I am going to call a guy I talked to a few months back that was selling it for .65 cents per gallon and had 1 or 2 thousand gallons. I might just get a big poly tank and go buy 1000 gallons until I find some more oil. I hope he still has some and is still the same price by the time I call.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Damn Billy, get them pics up!

Dave, how well does that Isuzu PS pump work in terms of flow? What kind of filtering setup are you running?

My pump will works pretty good even with cold oil. At around 20 degrees F, it takes about 20 minutes to move 55 gallons of straight used 15-40.

On initial pump out into my storage tanks, I have been using The primary and secondary filters off a Detroit 6-71. I found the bases on a junk engine and bought the filters new. Cost: about $20.

Primary 33118 (30 micron) http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=33118

Secondary 33120 (10 micron) http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=33120

Once the wmo is in my containers at home, I mix in 15% reg unleaded and stir by letting my pump suck off the top off the barrel with the outlet placed in the bottom of the barrel. I let that go on for about 30 minutes. The gas really makes the oil flow alot better.

Next, I attach 2 home depot water filters, 5 micron and 1 micron. I then pump it into the final stage drum for use in my "offroad only vehicle". :angel:

I need a lower volume pump on my setup for when I go thru the 5 and 1 micron filters. They do not flow enough and my big pump gets hot, so I have to cycle it. I am thinking of buying one of those little green diesel pumps from Advaned Auto for the final stage.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...EL-Mr--Gasket_6340003-P_N3339K_P|GRP2030P____
It would take a while but since I am pumping from 1 55 gal drum into another 55 gal drum, I would not have to watch it that closely.

Last edited:

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been dumping centrifuged oil into the trucks second tank as a test with a 80/20 mix of wvo/gas

Use diesel in the first tank on startup and a few minutes before shutdown to flush out the oil mix.

Seems to be working ok?

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any advantage to mixing in the gas vs mixing in diesel or are ya'll just using gas cause gas is cheaper?

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
The gas is way better because it thins better, starts better, helps ALOT with smoking/coking and is cheaper.

I get all my gas for blending using get-go fuel rewards, but even if you buy the gas, it is still pretty cheap.

100 gallons of ready to run blend needs 15 gallons of gas @ $3.50/gallon=$52.50 or 52.5 cents per gallon. :love:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kerosene would probably be great, but it's real expensive unless you get the dyed stuff. I make no judgements on you if you want to do that but it is illegal and subject to a stiff fine. In making my winter blend biodiesel I would rather use the K1 but it is nowhere to be found in the Gainesville area except as the lower grade, taxed, dyed heating oil.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont want to start a new post, but can you straight mix WVO (after being filtered) with diesel? Summer time here is 90-100* everyday, with lows in the high 70's-80's, so it shouldnt get thick. The resturaunt I work for goes through about 10-15 gallons of oil a week. I wonder if I can just throw it in a tank of diesel to dilute the diesel down with it (and bring costs down). Would that work?

Justin,
You might get away with it for awhile, but I think you'll be sorry. If WVO gets cool enough, it changes into a grease, like Crisco or hard butter. You don't want that in your tank, fuel lines, injection pump or injectors. It's best to start on diesel, switch over to heated wvo (160 degrees or so), then switch back to diesel before shutting down, making sure the diesel has pushed the wvo out of the system. All this creates some plumbing issues for you, but it can be done.

Last edited: