WMO with paint contamination

red_wing_bikes

Reaction score
I picked up 300 gallons today from a mechanic in various containers. Of course the last container I pumped out of I discovered had some red paint chunks in it. It is wet in consistency and not dried flakes... I need to know what to do at this point. I feel like there was very very little in the container but I also don't know what very very little is going to do to my truck. My normal system is 22 micron on my pump->10 micron bag filtered into a tote. It sits in there until I am ready to mix (as long as I want). Pump it out into smaller containers, 5 gallon buckets etc and mix with 15% RUG and settle and pump off the top into the truck through a 1 micron bag filter. Thoughts? I have to do something with 300 gallons one way or another... I fully intend on massive settling after mixing with rug over a long period of time and sending it. What are my chances doc?

Thanks in advance!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Run a smaller micron filter. Sure will pump super slow, but will get a lot of stuff.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting red glue into said system????
F u b a r

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as it's combustible and the injectors can spray it, the engine will burn it. After all that filtering and the filters you have on the truck also, I doubt any of the goo will make it to the combustion chamber itself. Any solvents that were the carrier for the paint will be mixed with the rest of the oil and be burnt.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. If they have employees like me working there, no telling what you are going to get out of the waste oil tank. I do not put water in the tank, but if I am working on a small engine that is clogged up with 100 year old stinky fuel, that goes in the waste oil tank. Diesel fuel goes in the waste oil tank, bio diesel goes in there, hydraulic oil, transmission fluid, etc.

red_wing_bikes

Reaction score
I think once I work it out with these few shops that will give it to me, I think I can get them to keep it much cleaner for me in the future. For now though... I am stuck collecting my 1st go at most of these places so I have no idea what they have lol. I kinda feel like this stuff is gonna just burn and I'll never know any different. I am definitely going to settle this particular tote for a long while though

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think once I work it out with these few shops that will give it to me, I think I can get them to keep it much cleaner for me in the future. For now though... I am stuck collecting my 1st go at most of these places so I have no idea what they have lol. I kinda feel like this stuff is gonna just burn and I'll never know any different. I am definitely going to settle this particular tote for a long while though
With what you discribed for filtering, you're fine. Especially mixing it with that much gas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online