Windshield replacement myself?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Then I taped off the edge of the trim coverage so I didn’t damage visible paint. Removed inside trim and masked over the entire windshield area from the inside to keep crap and paint out of the interior.
Used a die grinder with various scotch rite and sanding discs to get a bare metal rust free roughened surface.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I used a moisture cured urethane paint called Mastercoat (think POR 15 but better because of leafing aluminum powder) 3 coats with a small brush. Hardest part was not overdoing the little pegs since MC is thick (but self leveling). Let it cure a few days. Then Safelight came out and reinstalled glass. Better than new.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Safelite policy according to the guy that did mine is no more than 22 lineal inches of rust. Mine had a few places. Of course I’m also pretty sure that my windshield is leaking. Need to take the time to properly check it and take it in for them to fix it. Supposed to be a lifetime warranty on workmanship I think.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Safelite policy according to the guy that did mine is no more than 22 lineal inches of rust. Mine had a few places. Of course I’m also pretty sure that my windshield is leaking. Need to take the time to properly check it and take it in for them to fix it. Supposed to be a lifetime warranty on workmanship I think.