Windshield replacement myself?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stopped most the leaks into my cab, windshield is cracked and seal is so bad I can just push it out with some pressure, question is how hard is this gonna be to do myself? Safelite said no because there is some surface rust around the windshield it really doesn’t look that bad it was caused by moss and someone’s “sealant” job around it. My plan was to remove it, learn how to properly remove old sealant? If there’s a trick to it. Then wire wheel, some rust converter primer and then figure out best windshield glue? And instal it using two body dent suction cup things and the little plastic aligners at the bottom that are currently there

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove it yourself.

FIX the damage.

Have them put a new one in.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I did mine myself, not that hard. You cut the old urethane with a blade, can find them on amazon. Just make sure its sharp. Once windshield is out clean up the rust. I recommend just using the urethane primer on the bare metal to stop future rust. Don’t put rust converter on there as the new urethane might not bond well. Once all prepped with primer, you basically just apply new urethane in the recommended shape and thickness and slap the new glass on. There are plenty of videos on youtube to help you see the whole process.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cost me 220 to have a new windshield installed
They said they wouldn’t do it unless I sent it to body shop and they quoted me 5-800$ to “clean it up” then safelite wants 350$ to first remove it and then body shop then instal it again. Insurance was gonna cover it until safelite said there was potential body damage under the windshield so now I’m stuck with a unsealed, giant cracked windshield at the moment. I fixed the cowl though so the main leaks are fixed but it’s about to be the rainy season again

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
learn how to properly remove old sealant? I
At work, we just use a sharp wood chisel and run it underneath the old sealant while pulling up on it with your other hand. It usually comes off fairly easily that way. We use a wood chisel for the plastic handle on it. You don't have to get 100% of the old sealer off either. We get about 95% of it off and then apply the new sealer over the top of it although Safelite may tell you differently.
And instal it using two body dent suction cup things
Ar work, we use two people, one on each side of the windshield and no suction cups. Just set the bottom of the windshield in place. Then you reach inside and sandwich it between your hands to set it in place.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said they wouldn’t do it unless I sent it to body shop and they quoted me 5-800$ to “clean it up” then safelite wants 350$ to first remove it and then body shop then instal it again. Insurance was gonna cover it until safelite said there was potential body damage under the windshield so now I’m stuck with a unsealed, giant cracked windshield at the moment. I fixed the cowl though so the main leaks are fixed but it’s about to be the rainy season again

Not to disparage safelite, but they're a bunch of clowns. I've had 3 windshields in my other vehi les replaced and every. single. time. they mess something up. First time they cut the wire for my back up camera, wouldn't replace it. Next guy cut the headliner. Third guy didn't seal the windshield correctly, had to have it redone. They quoted me the same price which is crazy. Think I'm going to look on Facebook marketplace and find a local guy. I did that with some rust on my fenders and the guy did just as a good a job as a body shop for a fraction of the price. Just my thoughts.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Call a local windshield repair place, not a national chain.
Most of them have a waiver they'll have you sign (on the back of the warranty information generally), basically just says they don't guarantee against leaks due to rust presence.

I've had multiples done that way, the techs/installers wire brush it away and use a little extra urethane sealant, I haven't had one of those leak yet.

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine myself. Used a putty knife. My sealant was letting go at the bottom causing leaks. My windshield was in perfect shape.
I managed to get it out with the help of 2 friends in tact.
Buffed all the old sealant off with a wire wheel (it's a mess).
Used 3m window weld (I think that's what it was called). Be really easy putting it back in. Take your time. Don't push it against the cab. My buddy did on the bottom left corner and shattered it. Luckily it's a half circle and I superglued the exterior to seal it and stop movement. 2 weeks later the top left developed a crack. Hasn't moved since. That was a year and a half ago.

Moral of the story, yes you can. Be gentle going back in.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to thread necro but just had my windshield replaced last night by local guy, $170 out the door. Dude was a pro with the trim, worked that crap off like it was butter. We chatted while he was doing it and said most safelite techs don't hang around long enough to learn all the little tricks and such, that's why you need guys that have been doing it for awhile. Reinstalled the trim with nary a bend or bruise.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they told me there was too much surface rust and they can’t do it without taking it into a shop, and then the shop gave me a 4-800$ quote to remove the windshield and fix the minor surface rust and put some primer on it and the. It’s still 300 for safelite or any of the local companies to replace it after that. Basically I’ve decided that I’m just gonna have to do it myself, probably never gonna happen though I’ll just leave the cracks and silicone the leaks.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I had a similar situation with my 96. Had Safelight come out to put new glass covered by insurance. I made sure to be there. Found rust once glass was pulled. Told them to leave it out and I would call when fixed. They agreed.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Since I plan to have this truck till I die I wanted a permanent fix to the rust.
The first big issue was not damaging the little “nails” or pegs for the trim clips. I found that 1/4” nylon tubing fit and at least gave me a micro second to get off before removing metal from the little peg.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Mine let go at the base. Had a local guy do it for $220 in my driveway. He wire wheeled and sealed the minor rust. He mentioned Safelite would never have touched my truck due to surface rust.