window suprise!

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
went to roll my driver side window up,it went up about 2 inches and then disappeared! so I thought crap new motor time. But no. When I pulled the door panel off the crank arm had slid out of the window track!! well, after putting the arm back on the track its not going to work .the arm now travels out of the window track. It appears to me the part where the track attaches to the window has moved. its seems to have somehow slid over a couple of inches .the part that attaches to the window ,I can not move back to its rightful position.This is strange.with 330,000 miles on the window arm,I wonder if anyone else has had this happen? I'm guessing I might have to find another window glass?---Rob

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The window slide channels are adjustable. top and bottom will be a bolt with a 7/16 hex on it. Just loosen that and reach in to slide the channel tighter or looser on the edge of the window. When I go in that deep to the arms and motors I rub a bar of soap in the channel. It acts like a lube so the window rolls up and down easier.

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The window slide channels are adjustable. top and bottom will be a bolt with a 7/16 hex on it. Just loosen that and reach in to slide the channel tighter or looser on the edge of the window. When I go in that deep to the arms and motors I rub a bar of soap in the channel. It acts like a lube so the window rolls up and down easier.

this is the slide channel under the window.no bolts needed or used.its fitted to the bottom of the window.---Rob

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok. I understand now. That piece that the window sits in has a special soft gasket you can buy from any auto glass installer. Most window glass is just pressed into that channel and it stays there. Your channel may have rotted out too making it loose so the glass falls out. I'm thinking a trip to the local pick n pull on a recon to see how this comes apart. Work on their trucks to know what you have to do. Its very easy to pull off a door panel and have a look see. Now to remove a window motor and the mechanism you will need some tools. Normally you have to drill thru the door frame to reach a bolt that holds the motor and slides to the door frame. I found a neat trick to get at that hidden bolt behind the punch mark. A pair of channel lock pliers will tear the door metal easily and not harm the workings of the door at all. Just grab the sheet metal and start to bend it towards you. It tears easily and you have easy access to that hidden bolt. Or take a cordless drill motor and drill a hole large enough to fit a 1/4 inch drive socket thru to reach the bolt.. Yeah.. I'm gonna do that on a junk door in a wrecking yard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726