Wiring spaghetti & unknown plugs

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
I've had some trouble w/ the alt not activating, so I decided to clean up some wiring.
First I tracked these two wires from their cut and taped ends back to the solenoid that's mounted behind the driver's side headlight. They tested hot w/ the key on and went to nothing.
Would they have gone to a previous alternator configuration?

You must be registered for see images attach

And this green w/ a red stripe wire seems to come from the rear of the alternator (unable to see w/o opening things up on the inside of the rig and this is not the best time for that) and it has this plug end. It was wired all the way to the driver's side and tucked behind the batt.
Is it from the alt and for what?

You must be registered for see images attach

There is another cluster of unconnected wires behind the alt on the motor that I can't get a pic of yet.
Any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_20230915_131230329.jpg
    IMG_20230915_131230329.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230915_131257369.jpg
    IMG_20230915_131257369.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your problem is you need some diagrams from the bus body manufacturer. You will have a lot of non-Ford wiring and components that were added. Ford only gave them the cab and chassis.

Lightgreen/red is the keyswitch 12v that triggers the alternator to come online and get ready to charge. When this wire loses power it tells the alternator regulator to take the alternator offline so it will not run down the battery when the engine is not running. So this wire will go to your alternator and if you did have another alternator installed, then it would need this wire also.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Your problem is you need some diagrams from the bus body manufacturer. You will have a lot of non-Ford wiring and components that were added. Ford only gave them the cab and chassis.

Lightgreen/red is the keyswitch 12v that triggers the alternator to come online and get ready to charge. When this wire loses power it tells the alternator regulator to take the alternator offline so it will not run down the battery when the engine is not running. So this wire will go to your alternator and if you did have another alternator installed, then it would need this wire also.
I've considered trying to get one of those to add to my manuals but most of the bus wiring got pulled when it was rewired for solar and house batts.

That green wire connects to nothing and hasn't the whole time I've had it.

I just finished changing the last of my battery terminal clamps to military style ones and had a shop add terminal rings(?) on the end of the wires that still needed them.
Now she turns over faster, fires up right away, and the alt starts putting out 13.6 w/o even picking the idle up. I haven't been able to test it at a higher rpm yet and it's a guess as to what rpm it is in these vans anyway.
I had noticed that the engine ground wire was getting hot when starting and that was one of the wires that needed an end so I could change that clamp.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
I did some digging and found a corresponding socket tucked into the fat amount of wiring in that corner. The socket has three wires going to it but a lt green w/ red wire was one of them and it was in matching locations in the plug. I plugged it together and now I get the dashlight that indicates it's discharging.

I had an unsuccessful start this morning so now it's on a trickle charger for the weekend. Other than jumping off another vehicle, and at the moment I have nowhere that I need to drive it to, my solar trickle charger is the only way to change my starting batts. At least until I add a DC to DC charger into the mix or a manual bypass from the house solar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online