Who likes bumpers?

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Good god, that is one sick bumper.

A friend I showed asked a good question, is that thing legal?

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metal prices are way high in that area. I needed a piece of aluminum one time and ended up paying $65 for a 10' piece of flat bar in Kent. Of course scrap price is a lot higher too.

But you are right, not too much fab work into that thing!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If I could make and sell one of those a week for $350, I would quit my job and stay home welding.

$800+ is ridiculous.

I see at the most thirty dollars in steel. ;Really

Granted, $800 is high, but
Thirty bucks in steel? I'd sure like to know where you're getting metal from. I don't even think that would buy it at scrap price.The prices my wholesale metal supplier are nailing me for 20 ft sticks of anything anymore are frightening. $30 wouldn't even come close to buying 1 stick of that box he used for the uprights

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I build bumpers for jeep cherokees and am goin to start on 1st gen dodges and early fords. I can say that there is no way theres more than a couple hundred in that thing in steel.

Something like that I'd make the customer pay for the materials up front.

Stu

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why anyone would want those uprights hanging below the bumper like that:dunno Unless you were using it to herd something that you didn't want under the truck?
Travis..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
He was probably rigging that thing up for a logger. With a bumper like that, you could plow through a lot of road debris without having to get out and throw a chain on anything ;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I've been working on a guard for my moms crew cab for about 3 years, lol. I'm down to making the brackets to mount it but my mom threw the templates away that I'd spent hours making so I got pissed and let it sit. lol I really need to finish it and make 2 more.
That one there is hideous!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Wow...

I guess like the add says, if you were ever in a Mad Max environment, you would be golden....LOL

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I have no idea why anyone would want those uprights hanging below the bumper like that:dunno Unless you were using it to herd something that you didn't want under the truck?
Travis..

yeah, all the damn Prius's and Honda's with fart cans :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

I like it, I'm gonna have to make a new bumper for my truck now anyway after the accident, I think I might steal some of his design for it.....

maybe put an old-school locomotive cattle guard on the front of my truck??:rotflmao:rotflmao

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would look a whole lot better if it were painted, but still hideous. Maybe the guy that wanted it lives around a lot of Elk or Buffalo. That would sure plow them out of the way, all that would be left would be hamburger. The guy welding it up may be a tool & die welder, they get about $50 per hour. :rotflmao:rotflmao

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good god, that is one sick bumper.

A friend I showed asked a good question, is that thing legal?
Depends, if the lights don't sit behind one of those horizontal tubes, and he grinds the top ends of the uprights round and caps them off it could very well be legal, or at least not illegal.

Travis..
Not everyone has a 4x4 truck, my own bumper is set up in a similar manner - I do not want anything going under the truck where it can mangle stuff like steering linkage and transmission harnesses and what not pretty good, so I built the bumper to hang as low to the ground as reasonably possible - I hardly ever drive on non-level roads, and my truck don't articulate well, so a low bumper is a good match for my purposes.

He was probably rigging that thing up for a logger. With a bumper like that, you could plow through a lot of road debris without having to get out and throw a chain on anything ;Sweet
Yeps, very true with an 18-wheeler, so I'd imagine it applies to large pickup trucks as well.

Maybe the guy that wanted it lives around a lot of Elk or Buffalo. That would sure plow them out of the way, all that would be left would be hamburger.
It certainly has the right shape for that purpose - what many people with grille guards on their trucks don't realize is that a guard sloping backwards towards the top will only shoot whatever you hit over the hood and in your windshield, if you slope the guard forwards tho as it goes up then whatever you hit will have the tendency to just get pushed ahead of you. You also wanna have the lower section done like a locomotive's cow catcher to prevent stuff from going under the truck. If you look closely at the guards the Aussies put in their road trains you'll see most of them are done in that manner, cause they're supposed to protect the truck from anything up to the size of cows.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Granted, $800 is high, but
Thirty bucks in steel? I'd sure like to know where you're getting metal from. I don't even think that would buy it at scrap price.The prices my wholesale metal supplier are nailing me for 20 ft sticks of anything anymore are frightening. $30 wouldn't even come close to buying 1 stick of that box he used for the uprights

I guess I am just spoiled from living within fifteen miles of probably the largest steel whole-saler in the world, new, salvage, or scrap.

I see all kinds of un-believable high prices quoted for stuff that I just take for granted can be bought for a lot less. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.