Who's smarter?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
not what some sensor tells it I should be doing.
Oh so you're fine with a C6 then? ;Poke
Another thing is, even though I dump thousands of dollars into these Fords, it is still less than a 5 year old Dodge with a Cummins would be in payments… on a 5 year note… much less a new truck…
FOR SURE!!! I don't even want to imagine how much a new truck payment would be.
And he’s right, financially, it’s something I could pull off with moderate ease.
Maybe not a new one, but I could fairly easily afford a payment on a newer truck. At this point in my life, 52, I have everything paid for except for my house. That should be paid for in another 1 1/2 years, give or take. Right now, I'm making the best money that I've ever made (not counting when I was a civilian contractor in Iraq which I've never considered to be a real job). Once my house is paid for, then I can rest easy again. My boss is around 75 and we've been seeing signs lately that he may be thinking of winding down operations. If my house is paid for, then I won't have much to worry about, income-wise any way. I REALLY don't want another big payment for something like a truck, car, toys, etc. I'm wanting to enjoy life, not be a slave to the almighty dollar.
I have looked into getting a newer truck, free to look, but the big power and fancy screens don’t do it for me… especially at their price!
Those don't do anything for me either. Sure, they all have their "uses", but they are nothing more than a gimmick to me. If you can't keep track of your tire pressure, oil changes, etc., than maybe you should get your head out of the clouds and think about what you're doing? Or maybe a better way to put it would be to focus on your priorities.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh so you're fine with a C6 then? ;Poke
More so than anything electronically controlled. You could say that they are controlled by sensors also, just mechanical not electronic. The governor is just a mechanical speed sensor, and the modulator is similar to the TPS.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chrysler had push buttons on the dash for the shifter of the Auto tranny
The drag race guys called that 'Rowing the Typewriter'...or some such...

If you ever had to take that stuff loose and put it back and get it adjusted right....Jeezz...cables and linkages...

On a '50-something Mercury Turnpike Cruiser...they had a little metal box with stamped-steel keys that worked a similar arrangement...

Cute little POS that would not last and would give you trouble...eventually...

Those were the days...

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO, you are so close to freedom. Get that house paid off, and takes off a lot of weight from your shoulders. Then all you have left is monthly bills and the 4 quarterly rent payments to the County.

The 86 is our Daily Driver, no job so no commute, fill the rear 38 gallon tank when we get to 500 miles or more. Can get 600 out of it. Give the guy $100 bill and it takes most or all of it.... so what.... I always fill to the tip of the fill tube, so probably holds 40 gallons.
I don`t like paying that much for fuel, but when things are paid off, not so stressful.

Price of fuel has been slooooly coming down, one station is $3.49 and other is $3.59 and the others way more than that. Don`t know why the dimwits buy fuel from them, guess they think it is better fuel. All fuel here comes over the Sierra in pipe lines from Commiefornia.
East of Reno in Sparks is the big Tank Farm they all pull from.
Eastern part of NV. it is trucked in from Salt lake City. Lot of refineries there.

The other day I go into the ARCO for fuel, it`s run by some Camel Jockies. Tell the guy I need some Hay for the Horses, and give him a $100 Bill. Hay? Horses? with a confused look.... Yeah ya gotta to feed the Horses to pull the Wagon... what Horses?.... well under the Hood is 170 Horses, and ya gotta feed them.... leave him with a confused look. Heck he hardly can speak Engrish, let alone understand American Humor.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Then all you have left is monthly bills and the 4 quarterly rent payments to the County.
In Kansas, you can pay half in December and then the other half in April?/May? I don't remember. Businesses may be different so I can't speak to that.
@IDIBRONCO, you are so close to freedom. Get that house paid off, and takes off a lot of weight from your shoulders.
I know. I was there before. Then, in 2015, I decided to move to try to get a MYCH better job with GREAT benefits including a good retirement. There went all of that. I didn't get the job, and I couldn't stand living there so I moved back in 2016 to start all over again. The plus side was that the seller was pretty desperate to get rid of the house (not to mention a lower than average IQ) so I got a decent price.
Price of fuel has been slooooly coming down
Here, at the closest stations, it had been pretty steady at $3.59. About 30 miles west, it was down to $3.14, so you know where I was buying fuel! Then it went back up to $3.56. Lately, it's been slowly coming back down. I bought some for $3.49 last Friday.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got below $3 here for a few days, but that’s been a couple weeks ago now… back to $3.49

Doc Niver

Reaction score
Had several IDIs and one 6hoho everybody makes mistakes sometime just ask my wife.
I used them to deliver campers all over the states ran them no less than 500,000 each. I do all my own work.
I learned if it has a computer your screwed and a victim of some shop. I think if it's new it is far from dependable. Had one new car that was dead before the payments where done, never again.
Have a 90 F250 and a 1970 F100 that I'd go anywhere in the us except California because no one should have to go there, with out hesitation.
Do your maintenance and they will live a long time.
As far as fuel mileage gear it right or slow down. I get 17 mpg with a slide in camper at 62 mph with a 4.10 and a zf-5