white smoke and $100.00 fuel line????

castlesburning

Reaction score
Greetings, this is my first post. I have put about 500 miles on the truck and after cutting out the soup bowl and the front bearings, truck ran beautiful saturday and sunday. this morning the truck started right up adn the left bank of the motor was blowing blueish white smokes melling strongly of fuel. I read a few posts and figure it is time for injectors. the question is,

surely there are alternatives to $99 fuel lines!!!??? I need 8!!!!
what are the best injectors?
will a k&n filter and air filter can top help or hurt?
how much pressure is coming out of the injector pump??
can I just pull the 6.9 and stick in a 300 I-6???
is there an after market tach???
Can I rebuild the 6.9 in my garage like I do gas motors??

there are two lines in now will have to be replaced because the line has cracked right under the nut, on the tube side of the flair, and is temporarily sealeds up with o rings and epoxy.

I have owned 3 or 4 of these trucks, 1 wvo, and never really had any problems besides the fuel pick up screen and fuel filter crap.
after 12 years of hondas and toyotas Ive been attacked by this
84 250 6.9 c-6 4x4 with new starter, batteries, injection pump, , lift pump, glow plugs and controller, tie rod ends, rear bearings, drums , shoes and wheel cylinders, front bearings, new inner hub seal, hub internals, brake pads. about $3500.00 in all.

rusty but over all a good truck....except...

thanks guys!!

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
surely there are alternatives to $99 fuel lines!!!??? I need 8!!!!
what are the best injectors?
will a k&n filter and air filter can top help or hurt?
how much pressure is coming out of the injector pump??
can I just pull the 6.9 and stick in a 300 I-6???
is there an after market tach???
Can I rebuild the 6.9 in my garage like I do gas motors??

thanks guys!!

Check the wrecking yards, you can get a whole set for pretty cheap.
Get new injectors, not rebuilt, they cost about the same. There will be someone along that can recommend a shop.
Asking about airfilter brands is like asking about oils.....
The injectors pop at about 1950psi, give or take.
Don't know how much work the 300 would be, but with enough time, anything can be made to fit.;Sweet
There are some tachs that run off a magnet on the alternator.:dunno
Yes, you can rebuild it. Takes a bit more work (heavy parts!) but not bad.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lines are breaking because the clamps are missing or loose, I bet.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet that is right, missing clamps, I also thought these guys were much too by the book and you really didn't have enough vibration to hurt anything...boy was I wrong. I was lucky I only cracked one line. Mr. Roboto had some sort of a temporary fix that involved a ferrule and a flare nut I think? but in the long term you should really get the correct lines. A wrecking yard or ebay is where you need to get the lines. Many times you can score a core injection pump and lines together. It may be pricey but it will surely be less than $800!!! You should be able to get 8 good used lines, a rebuildable core inj. pump, 8 new/rebuilt injectors, and a rebuilt stock IP(less core charge) for 800 bucks!

castlesburning

Reaction score
air filter

Asking about airfilter brands is like asking about oils.....

I ws more asking about the results than brand names, the question is how much air can the motor use? a gas fuel injected engine needs a certain volume of air to burn a certain volume of gas right?
to me it would seem that the motor is only going tom be able to use air in porportion to the volume of fuel being burned. it my dirt bike (obviously nothing like the 6.9) too much air(lean mixtue, no air filter etc) will burn it up.
thanks

sassyrel

Reaction score
think about this----a diesel is wide open all the time--as far as air flow goes. a gas has the butterfly somewhere in the air intake, which is the restriction, dsl no has. and a k&n sucks. look at any independent lab comparison, and the k&n only flows actual 1 1/2 % better than stock, in spite of their claims to the contrary,the one i had, took out the rings in less than 12,000 miles. piece of trash.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never ask if a K&N is good or not. All you'll get is 50 answers, with 25 saying yea, and 25 saying nay. LOL

Yes you can put a 300 I6 in your truck. I took one out to put a 6.9 in. Do you want it? cookoo

sootman73

Reaction score
think about this----a diesel is wide open all the time--as far as air flow goes. a gas has the butterfly somewhere in the air intake, which is the restriction, dsl no has. and a k&n sucks. look at any independent lab comparison, and the k&n only flows actual 1 1/2 % better than stock, in spite of their claims to the contrary,the one i had, took out the rings in less than 12,000 miles. piece of trash.

thats the thing you have to grasp. there is no such thing a lean or rich in a diesel. there is underfueled and overfueled. its not gonna run bad either way like when you throw too much fuel into a gas engine.;Sweet the only thing that changes is the power and exhaust temp.

everything is opposite of a gas engine. more fuel means hotter exhaust not more air. and more air means cooler exhaust not hotter. increase the fuel and then increase the air(doesn't matter how much of each) you get more power.:thumbsup: