which way to advance pump timing one tooth--emergency!!

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, I switched pumps because my old one was bleeding profusely out the weep hole, I thought I'd use the max fuel allen screw as my tdc locator for switching the pumps, not realizing that it'd have 2-3 tooth play while the allen key is installed in the hole. Dumby me didn't make any back-up marks. I've advanced the new pump to the end of it's travel, and it still isn't right, as compared to the other pump's previous running ability. Both pumps have been on this truck before, and both have their own pump-mount/gear housing. So I know it isn't right just because I had to change the pump timing from when it was previously installed then removed.

Anyway, on to the real question: If I pick my ip gear housing back up which way does the gear have to go to advance my pump timing one tooth. This thing needs to be back up and running asap. Is it clockwise or counter clockwise as facing the motor?

HELP!!!!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you knew which way the tooth jumped it wont help much... there are markings on the gear that the factory used i believe to align the gears.

theres plenty of threads where people have messed up like this. most will say never to remove the gear or else you can do what you've done and skip some teeth. i dont know the procedure for fixing it off memory but i have seen it on here before many times:sly

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Well, we rotate the top of the pump to the pass side to advance the timing. If you look directly at the end of the pump that would be counter-clockwise.

To accomplish the exact same thing you would rotate the gear clockwise.

My semi-educated thinking it turn the gear one tooth clockwise as you are looking directly at the end of the pump shaft....:)

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the gear housing because I have 2 pumps, each mounted on it's original housing. When I switched them before, I marked them with a paint pen identical, so as to keep the teeth matched up, This time, I thought the allen would be a good way to keep it from moving, but later realized there is too much room for error this way. Didn't have a problem last time, but like I said, I marked it much better.

So is the general concensus that I move the gear clockwise a tooth? If I get a definite on this, I'm going to go out a change it right now.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Well I hope you're back from changing it. Clockwise facing the pump standing at the radiator is correct.
Elementry Watson I concur,leave the housing on the engine next time, less time & effort.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to go out and switch it right now, now that I got a second vote for clockwise. I'm sure I would've figured it out, but I'm so burnt out from work, kids, home life, and trying to keep everyone else happy that I was second guessing myself as to which way it should be turned to advance it back to normal.. Feeling a little dumb tonight!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
count each tooth you advance it. If you don't know which way it spun then you could either be too aadvanced or retarded...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We interupt this thread just for the benefit of those searching for information in the future. This is a public service announcement....

Do NOT remove your IP Gear tower for any reason, especially if you think it will somehow help you preserve your timing!

We now return you to your previous thread discussion. ;Really

built4tq1

Reaction score
If you know what the heck your doing...Sure you can remove the front cover with the pump...its not a sin.... I've done it this way for years without a problem...and yes it saves me LOTS of time..I don't think telling everyone NOT to do it without reason is the best lead of example...Everyone has their own way of performing certain tasks....and in that just because a few may do it differently than the masses does not mandate false actions.....

Here is a video...i think its been posted here before....of front cover removal with ip..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zQ5UV-En_E

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Reasons for not removing the injection pump and gear cover as one piece..... See above original posters problems....:D The problem most have when the gear comes off is getting the timing of the cam gear and the injection pump gear correct. Sure... Removing 4 bolts that are easy to get at is fun compared to the three nuts holding the pump to the cover. Then having the special 5/16 12 point socket to remove the drive bolts from the gear is tuff too. When you try to install the pump, cover and the gear you have no real idea nor can you actually see the timing marks. You sound like you have been really lucky doing this the easy way. What will you do if you mess up your gear timing someday. Your going to wonder if the pump is advanced or retarded one or two teeth.I say good luck to you and I'm happy you are able to do whats next to impossible because nobody can really see the timing marks doing what you :angel:do.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. That utube viedo is some....:bs:angel: Lets find the reasons why the viedo is terrible... The job itself... He talks about in detail about how well the marks are make.... Then talks about cleaning everything up good before putting it back together.... Wrong.... How do you keep the felt tip marks from washing off the cover....cookoo Now after all this is said and done he removes the pump, gear and cover......... And lays it down in the dirt....:eek:;Sweet Now its always far better to clean the engine before you work on it...I just could not watch any more of the viedo...Got way too many better things todo with my time than watch that BS... I did get a laugh out of it. Utube is dangerous when people post something they seem to really believe in and the unknowing watch... And do.... In the simplest terms... I can agree to disagree with what I saw. If you don't remove the gear and cover you will never have a gear timing issue....

Last edited:

built4tq1

Reaction score
Reasons for not removing the injection pump and gear cover as one piece..... See above original posters problems....:D The problem most have when the gear comes off is getting the timing of the cam gear and the injection pump gear correct. Sure... Removing 4 bolts that are easy to get at is fun compared to the three nuts holding the pump to the cover. Then having the special 5/16 12 point socket to remove the drive bolts from the gear is tuff too. When you try to install the pump, cover and the gear you have no real idea nor can you actually see the timing marks. You sound like you have been really lucky doing this the easy way. What will you do if you mess up your gear timing someday. Your going to wonder if the pump is advanced or retarded one or two teeth.I say good luck to you and I'm happy you are able to do whats next to impossible because nobody can really see the timing marks doing what you :angel:do.

You are correct on all fronts..lucky? perhaps..Good? not likely..Just observant..If the pump comes off and goes back on a tooth in/out.well then so be it..i wont throw tools at it...So what ill do then? make it right, what else is there to do:dunno I don't recommend this procedure nor do i recommend removing the injection pump without basic mechanical knowledge...But without mistakes from not knowing...what is learned at the end of our mission...?..Knowledge comes by taking things apart.... wisdom comes by putting them back together..And hoping your not a tooth outLOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online