Help, pull water pump, pulling rad now

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I read about the trouble removing the fan from the water pump, I almost have the radiator out now, then I plan to pull the water pump and fan clutch and fan all together. I am doing this to get to (see) the front timing marks so I can put on my front top gear assembly back on. If I am missing something please let me know now, eating dinning now then back to work on it. I have the gasket kit for it.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
I've done this a couple times without pulling anything but the IP and the cover. Just with a good light and a good mirror and some patience. But, you are on the right path. I assume you are pulling the front cover entirely? Might have to loosen the pan, I can't remember. Make sure to put sealer on the balancer when it goes back on, and use good gaskets. It's best to pull the fan from the water pump, it'll make going back together much simpler. PM me if you want more help, in hand or on the phone, I'm near Dallas for the next week.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You can see down into the front cover. The cam gear timing mark will show up. A small mirror can find it. remember the cam gear has both a dot and a Y mark on it. You want the Y mark facing up to match the injection pump Gear Y mark. Just drop the injection pump gear down into the front of the engine. Then use the mirror to see the Y timing marks. That will save you plenty of work pulling the front of the engine off. BTW... The oil pan does not need to be loosened for the front cover to be removed but... when you instal that cover use plenty of rtv at the bottom pan to block to cover seal... You have three differant sealing joints in this area... any oil or dirt in this area will result in a major oil leak. I use brakeclean to clean off all oils. It doesn't leave a film. Also the vibration dampner needs to be removed for the front cover to come off... Hope you knew that ....:sly This is what the timing marks look like. The injection pump gear is 17 teeth from the edge of the block down to the Y and the gear can't roll out of the timing when you install it. The gear can roll from side to side but once its lined up it will stay that way when you are installing the top aluminum gear cover. Click on the picture to enlarge the pic... then count off the teeth from side to side. Notice the crank to cam gear timing dot lined up... You don't want that dot facing up to the injection pump gear. If you need more help please ask... Its better asking now than trying to fit a mistake later....

Attachments

• DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    577.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online