What the heck!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way to be sure when telling someone over the internet is to use this method. Apply 12 volts to the terminals on the top cover to energize the fuel shut off solenoid. You can visually verify that the plunger has sucked in, and the tab is retracted. Maintain power on the solenoid and just put the cover straight down on top of the pump. Once this is done you can remove power. There is NO way you can screw it up and have a runaway if you do this. Now, as for why you took the top cover off, what possessed you to do that?

BrotherNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Trying to prime the fuel system and i have come to a conclusion that i may very well have a bad lift pump. When cranking, i am holding down the shraeder valve and nothing is comming out. However! When I let it sit for about 10 minutes il push the valve in and a whole bunch of air comes shooting out. So im guessing i need a new lift pump. Is that a good guess? That would leave the next question as should i go with an electrical lift pump or stay with the mechanical pump.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Plenty of threads here on installing them.
Look up genlightning, he sells the carrier pumps that are pretty popular here.

Personally I've had good luck with the mr gasket pumps. Not even the green one, just the gas version.
But that's because I'm cheap.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have used the holley red electric pumps but they are not made very well these days. I put probably 170,000 miles on one before it failed. The next one lasted about 1 year. then I installed a carrier. Its a supierior pump in so many ways.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i dunno...you can have everyone n their brother telling you to run to an electric pump.... if it were me....its a n/a truck.... go get a new stock lift pump and bolt it on there. then you know your not changing the system and possibly adding to your issues. fix it first before going off and modifying it. especially if your not familiar with the vehicle and its quirks

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dunno...you can have everyone n their brother telling you to run to an electric pump.... if it were me....its a n/a truck.... go get a new stock lift pump and bolt it on there. then you know your not changing the system and possibly adding to your issues. fix it first before going off and modifying it. especially if your not familiar with the vehicle and its quirks

I would have to agree with the above. ALWAYS fix the basics and get everything working properly before you go off making changes, and then only make ONE change at a time. That way, if something does not work, you know what you changed, and you can fix it. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about fuel system mods that should have been a warning for all against just that kind of helter skelter repair.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i agree, this is solid logic, plus this has to be cheaper than the conversion.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
a new lift pump should be less then $40....buy a new one... while im sure some will chime in with their stories of failed out of the box manual lift pump...plenty out there have been ok with them. local place should have them...if not try rockauto.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online

No members online now.