What others parts can swap from a gasser

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. My truck has an aftermarket aluminum radiator ANF I thought if it was just the bolt pattern for rad I could drill new ones.

My support is cracked and they braced it with angle steel. Are the repops any good.

Gasser is an 89. Diesel is a 91

At this point unless you want to go junkyard diving that's about all you can get. If you're not afraid of doing some fab work you can beef up an aftermarket one yourself if it feels cheaply made.

car-part.com is a nationwide junkyard search, but shipping may be pricey. I found a side window for my wife's van a few years ago for $100 shipped from NY to Colorado... Glass shop wanted $700 local...

Last edited by a moderator:

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesels use a humongous radiator that will not fit in a gasser core support. And as the years changed frontend/headlight styles, you have to get the correct year so all that fits also. Finding a diesel core support can be a problem sometimes.

Did pickups change more in the years related to this build than vans?

I got an 89 E350/IDI for the engine to put in my 84 E350/460. Both radiators are about the same size, and both fit the 84 mounts, tho the bolt patterns are a bit different. I am running the gas radiator and adapted the hoses. However, if the gas vehicle had a small engine then I would expect a small radiator.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my limited experience with vans, they were always behind the trucks as far as changes. It seems every couple of years they were changing the cosmetics of the trucks, and had to make other changes to accomodate this. But you are probably correct, the vans did not change as much and the interchange may be greater and include more years.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the instrument clusters compatible between the vans and trucks/Broncos? ( IDI's ).

They sure look the same on the Ebay photos.

BRShirk

Reaction score
I'm probably going to pull the front clip on the part truck this weekend, which has a 5.8 gasser. It sure would've been easier to just swap the whole clips. But improvise, adapt and overcome.

I'm planning to change the interior in the diesel to almost anything but the awful late 80s early 90s bright red. I'll take a look at the gauge cluster when I pull the dash.

I was hoping to be able to use the gasser dash harness and add the diesel and 4whl specific stuff. But it seems like that really not possible without replacing someone else's sketchy wiring with sketchy wiring of my own. I want to run as close to stock a harness as possible. Well except for a push button glow plug and starter button.

Can anyone suggest a link with easiest way to do this, with keeping most of the high voltage out of the cab?

BRShirk

Reaction score
Speaking of glow plugs, I read somewhere to only use Autolite or Motorcraft because the tips swell. Is this true or are there other brands that don't suck?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only motorcraft. You already have 12v in the cab so... don’t see why you’re worried about another switch

CaptBuffalo

Reaction score
Are the instrument clusters compatible between the vans and trucks/Broncos? ( IDI's ).

They sure look the same on the Ebay photos.

The only parts that dont change between instrument clusters for the '82-'86 trucks is the tach, and circuit paper in the back. might be different if the truck had the so called "idiot lights" instead of actual gauges.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to pull the front clip on the part truck this weekend, which has a 5.8 gasser. It sure would've been easier to just swap the whole clips. But improvise, adapt and overcome.

I'm planning to change the interior in the diesel to almost anything but the awful late 80s early 90s bright red. I'll take a look at the gauge cluster when I pull the dash.

I was hoping to be able to use the gasser dash harness and add the diesel and 4whl specific stuff. But it seems like that really not possible without replacing someone else's sketchy wiring with sketchy wiring of my own. I want to run as close to stock a harness as possible. Well except for a push button glow plug and starter button.

Can anyone suggest a link with easiest way to do this, with keeping most of the high voltage out of the cab?

I don't see why you can't use the 5.8 gasser harness, especially since you are using a pushbutton glowplug system. You said its a 89, so I am assuming it's fuel injected.

On the fuel injected trucks, the ignition coil was fed by a white/lightblue wire. This comes from a fusible link, and then a red/lightgreen which leads to the ignition switch. You can use this white/lightblue wire as your ignition hot for all the stuff the diesel needs on top of the engine. This will be the IP, the glowplug controller mounted on back of the diesel, the high idle temp switch which feeds the high idle solenoid, and the brake warning switch. There may be a couple of things I missed, but they are all fed by this one wire on the diesel trucks.

You will have to do some wiring for the dual batteries. You will probably need to re-arrange some stuff under the hood to fit the two batteries, and then you will need to run the large wires to connect the two batteries, and both grounds on either side of the block. Then the large wire feeds down to the diesel starter.

A smaller(about 4 or 6 gauge) wire is attached to the battery + on the pass side battery, and then can be run over to the gasser starter solenoid. On the other side of the gasser solenoid, the large terminal will have a smaller wire going down to the diesel solenoid on the diesel starter. The gasser original start wire can stay on the gasser solenoid.

Where the 4 or 6 guage wire hooks to the gasser solenoid, you can run another 4 or 6 guage, or you can run two 10 gauge side by side like the factory did, and these run over and feed your glowplug controller.

Run your manual glowplug switch inside the cab.

Did I forget anything? I am assuming you are going to swap trannies also, so you will need to sort out your red/blue start wires underneath the brake booster area, since the original gasser if it had a automatic, would have a neutral safety switch on the side of the auto trans. With that gone you will not have a complete circuit to the gasser solenoid for start. But this is a common thing when doing any trans swapping.

BRShirk

Reaction score
Franklin2

That's good info. Do you have a link to a diagram how that can be done? I really bought the gasser for the bed and front end but if I casn use more why not.