What others parts can swap from a gasser

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axles if is is a f250 HD. Transfer case. Driveshafts. Steering box/column. Wiper motor/blower motor. Wheels, brakes. Transmission if it was a 460 and you want to drill some holes in the bellhousing.

fyrfghter

Reaction score
Cab swap is possible? I want to do an extended cab to crew cab swap on my idi. Finding a blown gasser sounds easier then a diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cab swap is possible? I want to do an extended cab to crew cab swap on my idi. Finding a blown gasser sounds easier then a diesel

Pretty sure the frame is different between the ex cab and crew cab

fyrfghter

Reaction score
Pretty sure the frame is different between the ex cab and crew cab
Most likely, I haven’t compared yet but fabrication is not a problem. It will be a while though I have some other plans first

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Core support, engine cross member, front anti-roll bar (2wd front end) and the diesel indicator lights (WTS, water in fuel, overheat).

Those are the main components that are different between the gasser and diesel trucks. Everything else can be swapped over, provided both trucks are F250 HD. If they are light F250s, or F150s, then the running gear will be lighter duty than a diesel. Ford didn't really have to modify the trucks very back in 1983 model year when the diesel option first appeared.

BRShirk

Reaction score
Darn, I was hoping to be able to use the core support.

With exception of the diesel specific indicator lights can and glow plug harness I use any of the wiring?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the issue with the core support the bolt pattern for the radiator or strength?

The diesels use a humongous radiator that will not fit in a gasser core support. And as the years changed frontend/headlight styles, you have to get the correct year so all that fits also. Finding a diesel core support can be a problem sometimes.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesels use a humongous radiator that will not fit in a gasser core support. And as the years changed frontend/headlight styles, you have to get the correct year so all that fits also. Finding a diesel core support can be a problem sometimes.

^^This

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Is the issue with the core support the bolt pattern for the radiator or strength?

Most IDIs use a rad support with a big dip in the middle between the frame rails. Fits a very large radiator; roughly square in shape. Some of the stripper models (like my buddy's '90, non-AC, 7.3/5spd truck) used a short/wide rad with the gas style rad support. FWIW, also the D44 front suspension instead of Dana 50.

BRShirk

Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. My truck has an aftermarket aluminum radiator ANF I thought if it was just the bolt pattern for rad I could drill new ones.

My support is cracked and they braced it with angle steel. Are the repops any good.

Gasser is an 89. Diesel is a 91

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most IDIs use a rad support with a big dip in the middle between the frame rails. Fits a very large radiator; roughly square in shape. Some of the stripper models (like my buddy's '90, non-AC, 7.3/5spd truck) used a short/wide rad with the gas style rad support. FWIW, also the D44 front suspension instead of Dana 50.

Dana 44HD front was standard on the f250 single cab trucks, no matter what engine they had.