What I've been up to...

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those relays "waterproof"

I am no electrician and did the light relay mods and got some basic relays/pigtails not even thuinking about it. I secured them in the engine bay but it seems we could not avoid getting them wet in a way that rusted them out? And this is like within a year and we don't even drive the truck every day.

As soon as I can find some to buy online I am going to replace all of them.

Just the other day I had one stick on on the running light side which was very wierd, it could have run down the battery since it just decided to stick on with everything off.

And I love that simple idea for the battery protector. We had a sudden meltdown a couple months back with the starter power lead. So much so I got a donor wiring harness from pick and pull. I have since tried to buy those large battery boots for marine setups but since I switched my battery posts to marine leads I have wires all over the darn place from different directions since they are so thick and it doesn't work well with the boots since you have to hack them up.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Im going to invest in some sort of "project box" from radio shack or use an old tupperware cantainer if i can find one in my house.

Got my new mirrors, just standard replacements but much better than the old cracked ones!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put some thick grease on the relay bottoms around the edges and leave them like they are, works great, and carry spares just in case.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Good tip, ill slather some grease on em.

Got some progress today. replaced the leaking filter head, replaced all the olives and snugged up the alt belt. also have another little issue...

Ok so today started out by tackling the fuel system olives and replacing the filter head. Get the filter head off, piece of cake. Work down the the feed line for the injection pump, hmm something is amiss...the line shouldnt wiggle when moved. Great, hoping for the best i take the line off and find the olive totally trashed:
You must be registered for see images attach

the other two werent as bad:

Ok so get those three olives out, which was a major pain in the balls, and clean everything up. Slide on the new olives:

moved onto the last olive hidden way back by the GP controller, same issue as the IP supply line...no wonder i had hard starting!:

Buttoned them up and put my newly modified filter head on, noticed my nifty plug for the vacuum sensor?:

Filled the fuel filter with diesel kleen, snugged it up, double checked all the connections and cleaned my tools up. cycle glow plugs, crank er over to purge air and 10 seconds later she fired up and idled smooth as glass. Let the truck run for a minute while i check for leaks...wait oh $%&$ where is this massive leak from?! Shut er down and trace the dribble path to its source...the short piece of rubber hose from the top of the IP to the steel line that runs along the drivers bank where the last olive is. Whew, luckily i just happened to have a piece of proper hose just the right lenght (freaky as i found it last night organizing my garage...conincedence?). Quick 2 minute job, after spending an hr drinking some beer with my former boss, and she was leak free...or i thought. Check again around all the fittings after lettin it run for a few minutes, long enough the high idle kicked off, and make my way over to the fuel filter...M$%$^ F$%&^ wait, its not the heater delete. Whew ok, oh crap its the WIF sensor port. Ok, no biggie maybe its just a little loose, so i snugged it up a bit and fired it up again...getting a little disgruntled now thats its still drippin. Shut er down, clean up, go in the house and drank a few more beers.

SO...i think the actual WIF sensor is leaking or the o-ring. Hopefully i can find my spare, if not ill rob an o-ring from another fuel filter. If that doesnt help can i just plug that? or where can i buy a new sensor?

oh and my present to my truck will be here tomorrow :-D Next project is going to be belts and see if that cures my steering issue (low rpm, like parked, its like i have manual steering). The belts are shot, all cracked and dry rotted.

Stay tuned for the next installment of Opti's truck repair adventure! Until next time folks!

Last edited:

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can you get the "olives"?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Another little update.

Got my present in the mail Thursday, a new set of taillights. They are clear with a black background. Going to take a little getting used to, as im not 100% sure i like them on it. These are the same style as on my other truck and i know they are bright, and the reverse light is REALLY bright. pics:

Also ordered new Bilstien shocks for my truck, since they ones on it are original from 88 and rusting out. Tomorrow i hope to actually drive it, since i let the inspection go out (my fault). So we'll see how much of an improvement all this work has done.

Last edited:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Dang...I knew I should not have opened this at work...I can not see your pix.

SWS

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
bilstiens will be here Friday, Inspection tomorrow (i hope) and maybe ill take my scrap to get cashed in this weekend. Still waiting for a half decent day to get my belts and alt on. Have parts ordered for the batt cables, just waiting for them to arrive.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
no inspection, and no battery cable parts...***. im gettin tired of talkin to myself. im gunna stop updating this soon and give up on posting anything on here.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
What tires are those Optikal? I think I remember a thread you did where you talked about them but I'm not sure.
Also, what is the rim width? I just put a set of similar wheels on mine. 7" width, but I'm just running 235 85's.
Gave 50 bucks for all four. They had a lot od scratches and some rust so I sanded them and painted them with krylon semi gloss white.
They look good but not as good as yours. But my truck is beat up pretty bad so even decent wheels only do so much.